1986 trophy bayliner

NewToTrophy

1986 trophy bayliner

Hey guys and gals I just bought a 1985 trophy bayliner had been setting up about 12 years under a house. Is there any bad issues with these boats i need to know about i rebuilt the carb and new fuel pump and filters. Fired up transom stringers deck and hual are in good shape from what i can tell.

Screenshot_20170921-055716.png

There are a bunch of these boats still in use today. With proper care and TLC there's no reason to worry about the safety of the Trophy boats. Mine is an 87 and have no doubts that it has many more years of fishing left in it, but I keep mine on a trailer. Make sure the thru-hull fittings are properly sealed. Make sure the bilge pumps work. Fill the bilge with a water hose to check for leaks while you have it on the trailer.

Basically there's nothing more to taking care of these Bayliner Trophy boats that you don't have to do with other makes.

Are you saying the motor wasn't run either in 12 years? Is the motor a closed system, if not was it winterized? I'd take a compression test on all cylinders, you will need new shift bellow, exhaust, and drive shaft., pay particular attention to the Heat gauge, while hooked to the ears/muffs take the rpm's up 2000,2300 just keep an eye on it, it will take awhile saying the thermostat is working, which should be replaced, along with the lower water pump. If your just talking structure, then just dismiss my post. I was in the same shoes a few years ago, don't want to see anyone go through what I had to do!!

Are you saying the motor wasn't run either in 12 years? Is the motor a closed system, if not was it winterized? I'd take a compression test on all cylinders, you will need new shift bellow, exhaust, and drive shaft., pay particular attention to the Heat gauge, while hooked to the ears/muffs take the rpm's up 2000,2300 just keep an eye on it, it will take awhile saying the thermostat is working, which should be replaced, along with the lower water pump. If your just talking structure, then just dismiss my post. I was in the same shoes a few years ago, don't want to see anyone go through what I had to do!!

No lower water pump in that boat, should be mounted in the engine bay. Either belt driven or crank driven. Volvo Pentax. Outsmarted mercury with this design

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Not sure about if it was winterized or not nor if had been cranked in the 12 years. Its not a closed coolant system. But i pulled the boot it drive shaft looks good the out drive was just serviced a few months ago before i got it. I replaced the thermostat the impeller rebuilt the carb clean the cap she fires up and runs in a 330 gal tub shifts smooth. Just replace the lower through haul fittings going to reseal the out drive and take her for a test drive this weekend. We live on the ms gulf coast it doesnt get cold enough to need to winterize down her 40's is about as cold as it gets. 

Edited by NewToTrophy
  • Like 1