My 2017 deer season

Well sighting #3 was about 615 had a doe come in...thought I hit a twig and missed her but had short hair and watery blood on one blade and 3inches up arrow... Was blood on ground too. Gonna look in morning to be sure it wasnt fatal.. thinking arrow hit twig then grazed her face

Good luck hope you find her

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

So anyway.... last night at 615 I had a doe come in and offered me what I felt like was a good shot... Well my arrow decided to deflect off a branch and go sideways past her face... i initially thought I missed but when I get down I retrieved the arrow to find short hair and blood on one blade of my rage hypodermic and watery blood on the first 3 inches of my arrow on one side only... figured maybe the blade cut get her face, nose, mouth, ear ,something not vital etc. However being a believer in following up on your shot I looked around and found specks of blood for 40 yards... figured this is not a good sign and I'm probably not going to find this deer but I'll check in morning..went home ate dinner and went to work... Got out of work this morning and followed specks of blood no bigger than a tick and 5-10 yards apart across field toward swamp.. Well like a miracle about 5 yards from the swamp edge I found huge puddles of blood and instantly my heart sank thinking maybe I did hit something vital but maybe nothing that's a fast kill however I kept pushing on...well about 10 yards into swamp I looked up and saw her laying there dead! Instantly I flipped her over to find that the one blade of the rage slit  her jugular, I believe it just nicked it and when she started running hard it raised her heart rate and blood pressure just enough to burst the artery causing the instant raise in blood flow.....moral of the story is ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS follow up on every shot out of your bow (or gun) because nature has a funny way of doing things and sometimes those less than ideal shots lead to quicker deaths than expected... And of blood is light keep trying your hardest to find the next speck no matter how small it is 

20171020_092754.jpg

I think that is the worst feeling to know you gave a deer a death sentence but you couldn't harvest them.  I am glad you found her.  I saw a similar thing happen on a hunting show.  Arrow veered off course and hit the jugular on a caribou.   The hunters went from panick to relief and then elation when they realized they got lucky.

First deer i ever shot I hit in the jugular.   He went down and then jumped back up.  Had hair and a little blood then nothing.  Tried to track it with friends and no luck,  Next day keep searching and then found the puddles.   Was very interesting for a first track.  Glad you found her. 

1 hour ago, dgio67 said:

First deer i ever shot I hit in the jugular.   He went down and then jumped back up.  Had hair and a little blood then nothing.  Tried to track it with friends and no luck,  Next day keep searching and then found the puddles.   Was very interesting for a first track.  Glad you found her. 

Thanks and that's all what this was like except I just moved slow and picked out every tiny speck I could before she opened up

2 hours ago, BSmaster said:

I think that is the worst feeling to know you gave a deer a death sentence but you couldn't harvest them.  I am glad you found her.  I saw a similar thing happen on a hunting show.  Arrow veered off course and hit the jugular on a caribou.   The hunters went from panick to relief and then elation when they realized they got lucky.

It was a looooonnnnngggg night at work I'll tell you that

It is among the worst feelings to know that you have injured an animal... and not kno to what extent, etc. Worst part of hunting. Glad it was a pretty clean kill all things considered. Nice job on recovery[emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

12 minutes ago, EsoxAC3 said:

It is among the worst feelings to know that you have injured an animal... and not kno to what extent, etc. Worst part of hunting. Glad it was a pretty clean kill all things considered. Nice job on recoveryemoji1303.png

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thank you! Sometimes it pays to go on alot of blood trails and see the amazing things that a whitetail can live through aswell as the crazy things that will end a deer quick. I have been on e blood trails before I even hunted this year and think I may have paid some dues! But now it's time to chase the big boys now that I have 1 doe outta the way. Hopefully I can let my arrow find the proper Mark this time

4 minutes ago, suttontroller94 said:

Thank you! Sometimes it pays to go on alot of blood trails and see the amazing things that a whitetail can live through aswell as the crazy things that will end a deer quick. I have been on e blood trails before I even hunted this year and think I may have paid some dues! But now it's time to chase the big boys now that I have 1 doe outta the way. Hopefully I can let my arrow find the proper Mark this time

Kudos to your discipline and fortitude to continue searching resulting in a successful recovery of your harvest. You should be commended as I imagine many folks may not have given it that effort.

Thanks for sharing,

Chris

20 hours ago, Bswitzer said:

I have been to Braddock's a bunch of times.  Morning and night and haven't seen ****.  My first year of bow.  Frustrating but fun as ****!  I know there are plenty of deer there.

i was just walking around there on sunday mid day and saw 2 big gut piles so someone must be seeing something in there.  Keep at it you will score eventually.