My 2017 deer season

Well i havent hunted much with scouting for waterfowl after work and hunting waterfowl (see bird game section) but yesterday morning i pulled in my driveway to see a real nice buck making a scrape under the apple tree the doe i got was standing under when i shot her. I waited a few hours and set up a cam. Checked it around noon today think i have a new hitlister! Split brow on one side 9pt have another pic of him sideways that shows he was trying to grow crab claws on both beams that wouldve made him an 11. Hit scrape just after dark only 15minutes after a doe was there

20171101_115845.jpg

20171101_115918.jpg

Well i havent hunted much with scouting for waterfowl after work and hunting waterfowl (see bird game section) but yesterday morning i pulled in my driveway to see a real nice buck making a scrape under the apple tree the doe i got was standing under when i shot her. I waited a few hours and set up a cam. Checked it around noon today think i have a new hitlister! Split brow on one side 9pt have another pic of him sideways that shows he was trying to grow crab claws on both beams that wouldve made him an 11. Hit scrape just after dark only 15minutes after a doe was there
20171101_115845.thumb.jpg.d33b61d6484b558deea7bd705ead301e.jpg
20171101_115918.thumb.jpg.776089639829086180e8e102c8a0241a.jpg

Crab claws and venison.... Its the stuff dreams are made of!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

So its been awhile since i posted however i got oit for a quick hunt behind my house saturday before last and saw the first chasing i saw of the year by a small buck chasing 2 does up the hill by me and then a bit later i saw the 9 point coming dirrectly at my stand across  the field. He made it to about 50 yards and then a doe that had been near me walked into the field and he chased her into the swamp. 

However this past saturday 11-11 even though my morning went rough do to dropping my release out of my climber at like 8am and having to climb down.. it quickly went back uphill agia. When my dad texted me saying he just hit the biggest buck of his life. I drove to the patch of STATE LAND he was hunting and walked to his stand. We jumped the buck shortly after (we had gave it plenty of time and he thought he had heart shot) we gave it awhile longer and i had him circle to the other end of creek bottom buck was headed up. Well to make a long story shorter i jumped the buck again and it circled out of the creek and wasnt going well at all and stopped just outta my sight. I couldnt get ahold of my dad so i crept up the hill and was awestruck to see the buck 40 yards infront of me fending 3 coyotes off him with his antlers! They necer knew i was there and he chased yotes away then ran another 40 yards and stopped. I decided togo back to my dad and go to truck for my bow. We got back on track because it was one of those few tracks where it was better to track him down and get anothet arrow in him. Well we did just that a short while later and put the buck on the ground. His shot had hit just maybe 2 inches low and busted a front leg. We (he) got lucky but it was a situation where we worked well as a team and got it done. We had a hell of a time trying to drag him out from a mile back in the state land and it was getting dark so we gutted him and drug him away from the pile, stashed him and covered him with debris to keep coyotes away and came back with the game cart in the morning. Very nice to have for big old 4.5 year old bucks

20171111_162640.jpg

20171112_104139.jpg

2 minutes ago, bondouley said:

Wow great deer and story. Great job staying on the track and putting him down!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks! Neither one of is were to proud of our shots on deer this year bug it happens i guess. Sometimes it aint pretty but persistent tracking efforts pay off

1 hour ago, suttontroller94 said:

Thanks! Neither one of is were to proud of our shots on deer this year bug it happens i guess. Sometimes it aint pretty but persistent tracking efforts pay off

it happens to all of us at least once for sure. It happened to me last season on a monster but i never found him.  I shot him at 9:30 in the morning then backed out til the next morning cause the blood wasnt great.  I looked all day the next day and never found him 

So its been awhile since i posted however i got oit for a quick hunt behind my house saturday before last and saw the first chasing i saw of the year by a small buck chasing 2 does up the hill by me and then a bit later i saw the 9 point coming dirrectly at my stand across  the field. He made it to about 50 yards and then a doe that had been near me walked into the field and he chased her into the swamp. 

However this past saturday 11-11 even though my morning went rough do to dropping my release out of my climber at like 8am and having to climb down.. it quickly went back uphill agia. When my dad texted me saying he just hit the biggest buck of his life. I drove to the patch of STATE LAND he was hunting and walked to his stand. We jumped the buck shortly after (we had gave it plenty of time and he thought he had heart shot) we gave it awhile longer and i had him circle to the other end of creek bottom buck was headed up. Well to make a long story shorter i jumped the buck again and it circled out of the creek and wasnt going well at all and stopped just outta my sight. I couldnt get ahold of my dad so i crept up the hill and was awestruck to see the buck 40 yards infront of me fending 3 coyotes off him with his antlers! They necer knew i was there and he chased yotes away then ran another 40 yards and stopped. I decided togo back to my dad and go to truck for my bow. We got back on track because it was one of those few tracks where it was better to track him down and get anothet arrow in him. Well we did just that a short while later and put the buck on the ground. His shot had hit just maybe 2 inches low and busted a front leg. We (he) got lucky but it was a situation where we worked well as a team and got it done. We had a hell of a time trying to drag him out from a mile back in the state land and it was getting dark so we gutted him and drug him away from the pile, stashed him and covered him with debris to keep coyotes away and came back with the game cart in the morning. Very nice to have for big old 4.5 year old bucks
20171111_162640.thumb.jpg.d427ad87c32aa0b643d8afa74f9fc1c7.jpg
20171112_104139.thumb.jpg.ab8374c7a255e577b678eb467c638a0f.jpg

Awesome story, and congrats on a great buck! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Great reading; it inspires me for the coming three day last haul. My buddy Bill is up from Boston through Sunday to chase whitetail, with maybe an out one evening for duck--if anybody has recent guidance on ducks, shoot me a pm, please...I'm out of the loop recently. Honestly, I wish he'd been here ten days ago when there were deer everywhere, I haven't seen as much since last week, but there's lots of standing corn and the big boys were tending doe in it this weekend. They've got to find new dance partners soon. Maybe today's the day.