Questions to ask your fish replica artist

1.) do you do your own molding and casting from good specimens?

2.) are your molds from local waters or somewhere else? Our Lake Ontario fish are unique.

3.) If you don’t do your own molding and casting where do you get your fish from?

4.) are the old school Replicas or new highly detailed fish?

Finally here is a picture on how to measure.

IMG_1099.JPG

Measuring your fish for a replica.

Lay fish out flat and take a good picture(s) by filling up the frame with the fish only.

Measure full length with mouth and tail relaxed ( yellow lines) girth at widest point( red line).

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Like Bandrus1 said, Great lakes fish are very different than anywhere else in the country. I see a lot of steelhead replicas on here that are from Pacific NW fish. They are longer and more slender.

Same gene pool, different forage.

For example I have a 35" Steelhead that weighed 21 1/2 lb. VERY girthy.

Each Pacific water has its own gene pool and different strain of Rainbow Trout or Steelhead sea run salmon. One stream has leopard colored sides. Landlocked Lake fish could be described as football shaped. Steelhead trout from the sea are narrow shaped as to survive in the ocean they have to be fast enough to outrun predators such as seals and killer whales. What we have in Lake Ontario are far different than Pacific Steelhead but then what is in a name?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United