Diesel Outboard Motors

Sean Youngblood

Diesel Outboard Motors

I was reading a article yesterday about a German made Diesel Outboard.Sounded pretty interesting.Better fuel economy,Longevity.better for the environment.My main concern is how well do they start in cold weather ? Anyone ever seen one or ran one ? Did a web search looks like a few companies making them over seas.  

Yanmar outboards, they’re on the heavy side per power output. They use a twin crank/connecting rod setup. Supposed to run smooth, but more for work boat use at lower to moderate speeds and heavier loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

21 hours ago, rolmops said:

What amazes me is that not many people have converted their 4strokes or for that matter mercruisers to propane or liquid natural gas. This is becoming quite common in Europe.

With the pounding a boat takes I would be afraid it might wined up like the Hindenburg.If your fuel line became compromised wouldn't all your fuel leak out ?  

16 minutes ago, Sean Youngblood said:

With the pounding a boat takes I would be afraid it might wined up like the Hindenburg.If your fuel line became compromised wouldn't all your fuel leak out ?  

Not only that but where do you fuel up ? Or are you dragging 80lb propane bottles down to the boat ? [ or whatever the next size up from the barbeque 20lbers are ] Seems quite cost inefficient to me in this neck of the woods. And as noted ,Hindenburg part two, on the Lake is not my cup of tea. Along with what J Powell stated it is something I would never look into.