Duel Planner board design

Neo1945

Duel Planner board design

OK, I'm confused. There seems to be two schools of thought on the dual planner boards design, i.e. The board closest to the boat (left & right) is the leading (out front) board by about 3". Or the opposite.

Please ... which is the correct way and why?

Regards

All I know is mine pull hard as hell, the tow line is like a guitar string, and they are about 2-3ft from the transom, even at 50/70ft of planer line out to the side, not like you see some where the boards are way back and a big long bow in the tow line.

My hunch is that the critical factor in designing them so the inside board is set back slightly may be on inside turns and the leading edge shifts emphasis to the inside maybe as the bow moves that way?

Edited by Sk8man

Any that I have ever seen that were home made anyway pulled very hard in the water and it is a reason I opted to use singles when I used to run them.

Edited by Sk8man

I know some guys really like the Super Ski boards, I've never saw a set in action, most homemade boards have the outer board ahead of the boat side or inner board, plus there cut with a compound angle the front edges aren't strait up like the manufactured boards. I wish I could get you a pic, but there up in the cuddy and covered up till next season.

Then go with the design where the inner board is the leader, and cut strait up. I bought a set of Riveria Boards and they just didn't work the way "I" wanted them to. I have them set like my other boards, but these are even in the front when locked into position.image.thumb.jpeg.20797e6e80ce7d61f4f8c1514369e006.jpeg

Edited by pap

I was told that with the inner board ahead of the outer one the inside takes water/pressure away from the out board.  I made mine 15 yrs ago with the inner board back of the outer one & they pull like a mule as Pap stated.   Jmo but I would say the super ski's in the pic above are put together backwards even from other super skis I have seen.  I have tried  manufactured boards & I always go back to my home made ones.  Also if your boards retrieve hard steer right at one & reel in the line as you go until it is 15-20 ft. from the boat then pick it out of the water.  then do the same for the other side.   again jmo.

Edited by lineman49

• 2 weeks later...

OK ... In the end I could not find any definitive answer to my basic question to which board (inner vs. outer) should lead. So I decided to make one dual board one way and the other dual board another way. Any way we will find out which preforms better. Thanks for all your imput.

Planner Boards 1.jpg

Planner Boards 2.jpg