Salmon River Hatchery

Salmon River Hatchery

Made the yearly pilgrimage to the hatchery in Altmar .The fish ladders are loaded with fish . There seem to be more , and bigger ,fish in evidence this year than in the past 3 or 4 .The creek above the barrier is full of fish , so some are making it further up the creek. Natural production ? The biologist I talked to said that they will stop stripping eggs and milt this week . They have enough .054.MOV

Edited by chinook35

I was in there today also. With the throngs of salmon aficionados rubbing shoulders on the river I decided to punt the fishing. While talking to the employees found out that they haven't collected Coho eggs yet as there tuned to ripen at cooler temperatures. And as many of you know natural reproduction accounts for about 50% of the fish population. And they've had about 150 Atlantic's come through the raceways this year. 

Natural reproduction does not have the winter growth rate that the spring water geothermal warmed water have for several months. The survival rate of the stream hatched salmon is expected to be poorer then the hatchery and pen raised salmon that reach the Lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

21 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

Natural reproduction does not have the winter growth rate that the spring water geothermal warmed water have for several months. The survival rate of the stream hatched salmon is expected to be poorer then the hatchery and pen raised salmon that reach the Lake.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The maybe the "hatch" is even larger in the river, because the 50% figure is based on what returned to the hatchery during the years of study.  50% had the adipose fin,(wild, no clip)  50% didn't  (approximately).

From the 2015 summary:

"In 2008, NYSDEC purchased an automated fish marking trailer (AutoFish) which is capable of
adipose clipping and/or applying coded wire tags (CWTs) to salmon and trout at high speed
and accuracy. To determine the proportions of wild and hatchery Chinook salmon in Lake
Ontario, all Chinook salmon stocked by New York and Ontario from 2008-2011 were marked
with an adipose fin clip. Percentages of wild Chinook salmon in Lake Ontario varied by year
class and age and among regions from 2009-2015. The wild study was completed in 2015 and
overall, wild Chinook were an important component of the Lake Ontario fishery averaging
47% of the age 2 & 3 Chinooks harvested in the lake."

The 50% value was from the river harvest, not the hatchery. The %wild at the hatchery was much lower. Not many wild fish strayed into the hatchery.

From the 2014 DEC report., "The percentages of wild  fish in the  hatchery  from 2009-2014 varied by age and  year class but were generally  low with weighted (by  sample size  at each age) averages of 1.4%, 2.2%  and 14.5%  for the  2008-2010  year classes, respectively."

"The low proportions of  wild fish in the  hatchery  were in sharp contrast to the high proportions of wild Chinook  salmon found in  the Salmon  River angler harvest sample, suggesting that wild fish display  a low degree of straying into  the SRH.  Although wild fish are a substantial component of  the  Salmon River fishery, they  do not contribute  much to the hatchery broodstock..."