Meeting at the Salmon River Fish Hatchery

Morgan-E

Meeting at the Salmon River Fish Hatchery

This Wednesday at 7:00PM an open to the public (public encouraged to attend) meeting will be held at the hatchery with DEC biologists and hatchery personnel.  Topics usually covered include the egg take, condition of the fish, comparisons to last and former years, hatchery goals and needs, research data, raw information / observations, and a question and answer session.  

Edited by Morgan-E

Most pertinent info was they hit their egg take quota and are taking surplus. With the surplus, they are going to discard the early eggs because the later eggs produce better. They will maintain the same number of eggs in the end but are confident they will have a better quality batch.

Other than that, they still fight their cold water supply issues in the summer.

My hope is that they continue pulling eggs from late run November fish. This decade of warm water in tributaries has ruined the salmon runs on most of the south shore frog water locations. I can remember as a teenager fishing Eighteen Mile Creek in early September during the 80's with leaves changing color in the gorge. Late runs in November at least allow for non-lethal trip temps. 

Its doubtful that they will take eggs that late. He also touched on the point that the early eggs would be "much" further in development than the later eggs that are started in cooler water and that the gap in development is tough to manage in the hatchery with a wide variation in growth. Discarding the early eggs will also tighten up the range of development that they must accommodate with feeding schedules and such along with resulting in better stock.

22 hours ago, Broadhorizons said:

Its doubtful that they will take eggs that late. He also touched on the point that the early eggs would be "much" further in development than the later eggs that are started in cooler water and that the gap in development is tough to manage in the hatchery with a wide variation in growth. Discarding the early eggs will also tighten up the range of development that they must accommodate with feeding schedules and such along with resulting in better stock.

I agree ...... I doubt they will take eggs into November as they don’t like to grow fry to then later kill them.  It would be my hope they adopt later egg take strategies as a change in policy.