for sale : usa 1987 Merc 70 HP- parts/project motor

1987 Merc 70 HP- parts/project motor

Super clean condition.. Brand new water pump, Zinc tab, Tilt/Trim, Carbs cleaned, plugs, lower unit oil,. prop is good,.. Just bought this motor on a Grumman 17 foot center console, and  drove 600 miles to get it last week...

It  started and ran ok  at the sellers house, ran   kind of  rough at idle, but was pissing like a race horse, ran cool, and revved fine... Thought it was just a "shaky idling 3 cyl"  I should have looked closer..

When i ran it on Cayuga it ran fine  at mid  speeds, and high speed, but  idling and low speed operation was not great...
 When I got home, on a hunch I tested compression.. Sure enough- 105-85-105...   Out of spec, and it will probably never run right at idle, until  the compression is even, and I REALLY don't want to spend thousands having a 1987 engine rebuilt... This engine is super clean, looks well maintained, and does run strong at speed...
 The guy lied of course, and told me the motor was perfect, knowing I lived in another state far away, ---when I found out the truth, I emailed him, and he wants NOTHING to with with anything now that he has his money...

Motor is a 1987/88 I think.. I removed the oil injection system, but I  have all the parts, and it can be easily re installed in minutes...

It probably needs rings....   would make a great parts motor as half the stuff on it is  either new or looks new, or  freshening the powerhead if you know how, would make this a really nice engine for resale...

Will accept best offer, and you can hear it run if you would like.. . its powerful and smooth off idle, .. Might consider trade for a 40 or 50.. No more 3 cyls for me, I have not had good luck with them...

Will entertain any realistic offers.. bob