New York fishing license sales drop

jimski2

Let me first state that I love being outdoors and love to fish. Hunting goes against my love for animals ,but may that be as it is.

Did it ever occur to any of you guys that you may have turned into hunters and fishermen and nature lovers because there was nothing much else to do where you lived? Did it ever occur to you that so many people left upstate because they did not like what it has to offer? And last, could it be true that the state has lowered the permit fees because the economy in the rural areas is not what it used to be and by lowering the permit fees the state tries to keep residents here ?

Edited by rolmops

1 hour ago, bandrus1 said:

Pap bud look at your post count. You average about 3 posts a day on this site alone lol...

Yea well, I see your not to far behind, I'm going to be 53 and I'm disabled. Don't look for any handouts, just keep trying to better myself for my family, I've seen a lot for someone my age, my mom died, my father lived with my family, untill I litterly carried him to the hurst, my mother in law died due to cancer, I held my brothers hand on Tuesday at 12:01 September 2 when he past away from prostrate cancer, 3 years ago he was 62 years old and right now my wife and I are caring for my father in law untill it's over, if you think I don't know how to respect or understand what life means, to try and steer others in in the right direction, so they understand what it is to say "it smells like fall in the air" or what it's like to go outside after a summers rain fall and pick night crawlers, and my daughts say "it even smells like worms dad." These things don't cost a penny and you can use your phone with a light. So carry on concrete kid !!!! I'll just sit back and enjoy the scenery. LOL 

32 minutes ago, pap said:

Yea well, I see your not to far behind, I'm going to be 53 and I'm disabled. Don't look for any handouts, just keep trying to better myself for my family, I've seen a lot for someone my age, my mom died, my father lived with my family, untill I litterly carried him to the hurst, my mother in law died due to cancer, I held my brothers hand on Tuesday at 12:01 September 2 when he past away from prostrate cancer, 3 years ago he was 62 years old and right now my wife and I are caring for my father in law untill it's over, if you think I don't know how to respect or understand what life means, to try and steer others in in the right direction, so they understand what it is to say "it smells like fall in the air" or what it's like to go outside after a summers rain fall and pick night crawlers, and my daughts say "it even smells like worms dad." These things don't cost a penny and you can use your phone with a light. So carry on concrete kid !!!! I'll just sit back and enjoy the scenery. LOL 

I agree I post a lot on the internet. And I also don't damn the youth of this country for having endless amount of communication and information at the tips of their fingers. 

Posting on a social network forum that people spend too much online isn't a good look. And I'm not singling you out. Our youth are completely fine

I don't have stats to prove it but I bet high school kids work more hours than in the past also.. sports participation is also down due to kids choosing to work

Edited by bandrus1

I don't think anyone is "damning' the kids. The statement that "Our youth are completely fine"  is inaccurate - many of them do work and they do access more information than many of the rest of us; both good and bad information. Some of them have way too much time on their hands and don't work at all, depend totally on their parents and some still live at home with their parents into their thirties, don't help around their own homes, and  just witness the Internet bullying that goes on among middle schoolers and into high school. Heroin and other drug addiction has reached its ugly arm into the middle schools, high schools and colleges  in many places and it is not just the youth involved. We have a culture out of control. We also have many very industrious, bright, and informed youth making good choices and with good goals and futures. There are plenty of things to do in upstate New York both in terms of work and volunteer activity, sports, and various other things but expectations play a big role too. Many kids often expect to be constantly indulged, entertained, and provided with money without working for it.. I never played sports on astroturf by the way, and youth have so many things available to them that most adults never had in previous times. The upstate economy has its problems but it probably isn't high on the list for the downturn in fishing licenses.

Edited by Sk8man

14 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

I don't think anyone is "damning' the kids. The statement that "Our youth are completely fine"  is inaccurate - many of them do work and they do access more information than many of the rest of us; both good and bad information. Some of them have way too much time on their hands and don't work at all, depend totally on their parents and some still live at home with their parents into their thirties, don't help around their own homes, and  just witness the Internet bullying that goes on among middle schoolers and into high school. Heroin and other drug addiction has reached its ugly arm into the middle schools, high schools and colleges  in many places and it is not just the youth involved. We have a culture out of control. We also have many very industrious, bright, and informed youth making good choices and with good goals and futures. There are plenty of things to do in upstate New York both in terms of work and volunteer activity, sports, and various other things but expectations play a big role too. Many kids often expect to be constantly indulged, entertained, and provided with money without working for it.. I never played sports on astroturf by the way, and youth have so many things available to them that most adults never had in previous times. The upstate economy has its problems but it probably isn't high on the list for the downturn in fishing licenses.

Ok, it's their self centered me first baby boom parents who are to blame 

Shall we keep spiraling this argument into the ground? Final point and I'll be done, using a thread about fishing licences to yell get off my lawn is mehhh boring... there are plenty of other factors at blame 

Edited by bandrus1

On 10/20/2017 at 6:12 PM, Sk8man said:

Ben it is not as simple as just one or two of these things ....it is ALL of it together.

Cityots are people who bought some land from a farmer and built a home to be free of the industrial smoke and poor families. They still work in the city and drive an hour each way to work. That is their desire and they want to communicate with wildlife there. But their presence has taken access from hunters and we now wonder why the kids are stuck in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

5 hours ago, jimski2 said:

Cityots are people who bought some land from a farmer and built a home to be free of the industrial smoke and poor families. They still work in the city and drive an hour each way to work. That is their desire and they want to communicate with wildlife there. But their presence has taken access from hunters and we now wonder why the kids are stuck in the house.

Call me a cityot then for wanted to invade your environs and ruin your hunting opportunities.....:mooning:

Here's my take as a cityot who doesn't hunt much anymore.  I moved into a rural county 15 years ago.  I assumed that I'd find lots of opportunities to hunt closer to home.  What I found was, state land nearby that has 5x as many hunters as deer on it, and farmland owned by farmers that either lease out the hunting rights for more dollars than I am willing to pay for a shot at venison, or only give permission to family.  Not criticizing as I'm sure I'd do the same if I was in their boat.  But it is what it is.

And fishing is generally an expensive hobby.  This is a forum for Lake Ontario.  Fishing Lake Ontario is a very expensive hobby.  You have to have a boat, a vehicle to haul it, and a place to store it.  Nevermind the thousnands spent on gear and fuel.  I'm betting the demographics on this forum are mostly middle aged and older.  Established folks with disposable income.  With the way income has stagnated over the last couple of decades, disposable income to spend on boats and all the equipment needed is in fewer and fewer hands. No surprise to me that license sales are down.

I guess it is easier to blame the guy that moved out of Cheektowaga though.

The world is changing.  That isn't necessarily a bad thing.  My son doesn't have the interest in outdoor stuff that I had.  We fished.  We hunted.  It wasn't for him.  I don't think there is anything wrong with it, and I don't think it is necessarily bad.  I do wish I had him as a partner when I fish/hunt, but if it doesn't interest him, it doesn't interest him.  No point in blaming anyone.  We found other things to do together.

Edited by weave
clarity

Have you ever thought that one of these cityots worked his/her ass off, got an education And then decided to buy a piece of country paradise to build their dream home to be CLOSER to nature? Perhaps they too were disgusted with losing hunting opportunities so they put their money where their mouth was and bought their own land. This way their kids can play outside, the cityot can hunt, and maybe they can even be friends with the neighbors and let them enjoy their land too

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

3 hours ago, momay4000 said:

Have you ever thought that one of these cityots worked his/her ass off, got an education And then decided to buy a piece of country paradise to build their dream home to be CLOSER to nature? Perhaps they too were disgusted with losing hunting opportunities so they put their money where their mouth was and bought their own land. This way their kids can play outside, the cityot can hunt, and maybe they can even be friends with the neighbors and let them enjoy their land too

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Me thinks that quite a few ex suburbians provide jobs for others like lawn mowing businesses and other property maintenance. Never mind the school and town taxes that they pay on land that used to be farm land with a very low tax return. And finally,all the land that is no longer hunted now provides a safe haven for wild life to breed and that wildlife will spill out of these places into hunting areas which will be better for it.

The insurance company guys report that 70,000 deer were killed by cars last year in New York. All these preservationists do not have to worry of deer over populations.