nltd fb group discuss adding cayuga

Thought I’d let folks know I saw a post on facebook on the NLTD group where it’s being discussed the possibility of adding Cayuga to the NLTD in 2018.

Thought some experienced anglers might like to get on there and give an opinion before their meeting tonite. Here’s the link to the group where you can see the post.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/195327587289339

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I vote no for tradition!! Yes Seneca is slower than normal but fish can still be caught. Adding Cayuga is just a way to say alright here is the easy way out. Today's society everyone gets a trophy!! It's a like Oprah fish for everyone! Come on grind the slow time out it will get better all signs are pointing up

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

41 minutes ago, cinnamon fish said:

Sticking with the tradition sounds the best to me... 53 years now, bound to be a few tough fishing seasons here or there.

Ditto. Keep the tradition as it is.

:yes: Jason it strikes me that maybe more emphasis could be placed on trying to advertise the derby more successfully, expanding the website to make it easier (and secure) to enroll and with frequent live updates, perhaps approach the sponsors to increase their contributions with extended advertising, exploring any possible surrounding newspaper (perhaps free?) expanding the reach of the derby, advertising of the derby explore increased advertising of the derby in all of the sponsors locations with larger more visible advertising. Consider ways of involving more kids as this would necessarily bring in more adults. Consider re-implementation of the special "tagged fish" prize. Just thinking off the top of my head.....maybe others have some ideas too....

You folks are doing a great job by the way in trying to breath life into the National Lake Trout Derby (NLTD) and believe me your efforts aren't going unnoticed or being underappreciated. :yes:

Edited by Sk8man

I'm glad the idea was scrapped.  I've only been fishing the derby for a few years but it seems more often than not these days that tradition is being overlooked to simply progress.  (Kind of like these bozos in the NFL that wont stand for the national anthem).  And to be honest, the fact that Seneca has been slow makes placing or winning the even much more satisfying.  It could even be a benefit as not as many boats are landing fish and increasing your odds to win.  I do it to spend time with my friends and enjoy a sport that I love.  The potential of winning something is just a bonus.  Big thank you to all that have been working to put the event on the map again.

Jim

I'm very happy for you guys, since they had tournaments on LakeO certain places haven't been the same!! The fishing has gone to $hit and then some!! Theses guys drive around the lake with a wheel barrow full of fish for hrs, parade around holding the biggest fish up in the air, I gotta quit before I get myself in a twist this early. I'm so glad they voted it down, your lake would never be the same!!!!! I know there are laker-haters, but that's a opinion everyone is entitled to their own!!!.

Edited by pap

On 10/18/2017 at 9:06 PM, bandrus1 said:

what is everybody's obsession with making fishing a competition 

I'm with you.. The late great salt water fishing expert /writer Frank Woolner once wrote in one of his books concerning tournaments-

"Fishing is not a competitive sport, its a contemplative sport"

Bass tournaments have ruined the largemouth fishing in  the north end  of Cayuga Lake.
That area was for many  many years one of the premier bass fisheries in the US, and people from all over  enjoyed it.

Then the tournaments started...  I know this site is tournament friendly, and I don't want to piss anyone off, but I personally  will never understand the need to be competitive when fishing... bob

I thank Great Lakes Lure Maker for letting folks know on fb and here, and for putting a lot of effort into continued tradition of the NLTD along with some improvements (live updates) so less small fish are brought in. 

Also, I agree with the quote, "Fishing is not a competitive sport, its a contemplative sport".  But I think there's nothing wrong with putting all that contemplative time we put in and have a fun friendly little competition once in a while, as long as it stays respectful of the conditions of the lakes.  I think most of the guys on here are very respectful and aware of the state of the lakes.  Bass tournaments on the other hand, I would guess likely have a bigger toll on the lake because there are a lot more professional bass fisherman than trout/salmon, and they travel from far away sometimes to fish Cayuga as it's been one of the tourney locations for the bass masters for awhile.  I think it's probably a good time to give Cayuga a break from large scale bass tournaments.

I too have a degree of ambivalence regarding tournaments in general,  but I also feel the NLTD is a very different "animal". After fishing it for well over half my life I have seen close up the positives connected with it that are far removed from other derbies or competitions. For years I camped at Sampson during derby weekend with my kids and fished it as a family "adventure", My kids met and played with kids from all over the place at the campground, Something that is often overlooked is the fact that being on a boat for hours "forces" direct communication of various types with kids, allows them the opportunity to observe their parents or grandparents following rules, becoming excited over a healthy active sport outdoors  and something that affords the opportunity to learn some different skills than commonly experienced on the playing field during conventional sports. The excitement of winning a trophy and having your name up on the standings board can be "priceless" for kids and serves as a real motivating factor in pursuing the sport later on. The experience of being out there as a family unit with a specific focus can be an important bonding factor. My point here is that this derby is very different from most others in that unlike the highly competitive and highly individualistic of team formal adult competitions  for many of us this is a family get together. My son and I have fished it together since he was barely old enough to hold a rod and reel and he still cherishes the trophies and experiences associated with winning them even as an adult. Often, I have seen comments on here about the sad fact that kids aren't being involved in fishing and hunting nowdays...this is a prime vehicle to achieve that end and if anything it should be more focused toward that goal with our full support...

It can also be an opportunity to discuss the fact that Memorial Day weekend is more than just a fishing opportunity... It is a time to appreciate the fact that because many people gave their lives  for our freedom that we are able to pursue enjoyable activities like this.

Edited by Sk8man

I am going to throw my two cents in on the bass tournaments. they dictate where I fish on the weekends,they take over the launches,i hate being told by the caretaker at the launch when I should quit fishing as to avoid conflicting with the end of the tournament. I have no problem with a bass or any other kind of tournament I just think they could be a little more respectful of the boats that are not participating.

One of the things i find disturbing is that after they finish and unload their bags after weigh in many of those very large bass are lying on the bottom at or near the launches.

Edited by Sk8man

The caretaker is making an attempt to warn you that the ramp will be jammed up at a certain time. You can go back to the launch at the same time but it might be crowded. Any time people come to fish from outside the area the spend money in that town, pay launch fees and so on. How long do you think our state parks and local parks would stay open if only 1 or 2 people used them on a weekend. It would be nice if we always had the lake to ourselves  but then who would come to our aide if we got in trouble! The fact of the matter is all the stocking and access programs would not happen if only a few used them.  I have been fishing with a 92 year old guy that has been fishing the lake for over 50 years and he told me that the fishing pressure is a fraction of what it was 30 or 40 years ago. He said that most any weekend 50 boats would be working in front of his cottage. Many of the people that fish these derbies have direct contact with the local DEC biologist giving first hand what is going on with the lake. If you want a private fishing hole buy a big lake, post it, stock it,build a ramp and have at it!

I thank Great Lakes Lure Maker for letting folks know on fb and here, and for putting a lot of effort into continued tradition of the NLTD along with some improvements (live updates) so less small fish are brought in. 
Also, I agree with the quote, "Fishing is not a competitive sport, its a contemplative sport".  But I think there's nothing wrong with putting all that contemplative time we put in and have a fun friendly little competition once in a while, as long as it stays respectful of the conditions of the lakes.  I think most of the guys on here are very respectful and aware of the state of the lakes.  Bass tournaments on the other hand, I would guess likely have a bigger toll on the lake because there are a lot more professional bass fisherman than trout/salmon, and they travel from far away sometimes to fish Cayuga as it's been one of the tourney locations for the bass masters for awhile.  I think it's probably a good time to give Cayuga a break from large scale bass tournaments.

Thank you! I try to bring these ideas to all of us who are involved so that I can get everyones oppinion on proposed changes and therefore can go back to the Derby Group with an informed opinion based on those of us who are involved. A lot of folks running the derby are not fisherman and sometimes it can be difficult to explain to them why certain things need to be changed for the better. It helps a lot when folks chime in, as they did on the FB page. Hard for the group to not listen when so many folks (as was the case recently) were unanimous in their opinion. So I would like to thank all of you for your support and for sharing your thoughts on these topics as I bring them to the table for discussion. Thank you!

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Lake Ontario United mobile app