Ft.Lauderdale fishing

I was initally going to be in the keys on vacation next April.In light of the recent hurricane damage, we decided to rent a house in Ft.Lauderdale. Any of you guys have any info on some decent charters? Not looking for a Lake Ontario Chicken Charter type....offshore pelagics is the quarry. Cool thing is the house we are renting has a boat available, so I plan on doing some bottom fishing also.....thanks for any assistance .....Matt

Sent from my SM-T550 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey Matt, my brother used to live in Lauderdale. He always went to the Keys to fish :rofl:. But he was a fly fisherman looking for bones and tarpon. I recall that the sails can be on fire some years up North. You probably don't want to limit your search to Lauderdale, as there's some great fishing off Palm Beach as well. I'll let you know if he has any advice. 

Edited by Gator

Did well on Sailfish off Ft. Lauderdale in May 2008.  Flying kites about a mile off the beach - brought 5 to the transom, one measured 78".  Lots of Kingfish around too.

Unfortunately I don't remember who we fished with - went down the the docks and jumped on a boat one morning.

Matt, i spent a lot of time fishing Fla when I was on the Whaler tournament team. In my opinion sailfish are boring and I’ve probably caught 100. If it were me I would book flats boats out of Miami and fish Bonefish and Permit. A 8 pound Bonefish out muscles a Sailfish all day long. If you book a charter for sails, as soon as you hook up, they will back down hard and have you reel like hell. Even on spinning tackle they aren’t a lot of fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I go there a few times a year on business and directly across from the Fort Lauderdale Beach Park on A1A near the Bahia Mar are quite a few charters which I have taken. There are like 5-6 of them. They are around $650 plus tip. Takes about 1 hour each way and like 4 hours of fishing. My advice though is I do not book ahead anymore (and this is just me) because too many times the weather is real rough or it rains hard the time you are booked for if it is days or weeks in advance . I go on the fly because when I do I make sure the weather is nice and chances are real high that if you just show up, you are good to go- there is usually a boat ready to roll and wheel and deal.

Ship it down before-hand. Traveling with saltwater gear sucks. If you need to though, I have a bunch of three and four piece break down rods including heavy"ish" saltwater rods for trolling mahii/sails and of course lots of travel fly rods that you could borrow.

Edited by Gator