The Oak good, bad and ugly 8/26

The ugly....the bumpy water in the am. Got out and set up for 30 minutes and then had to pickup and run in with green gilled son. Sat for 4 hours until the water became more friendly

The good....got at least one good salmon on a brand new 42 second NK28 spoon off the rigger down 67ft over 75 feet out west from port.... see pic of happy son after a nice battle with this 17lber.

aVlZE7A.jpg

The bad....Got a fouled dipsey line a little later.. it mated with the same brand new NK 28 42 second spoon and somehow the darn swivel got open and bent and the brand new spoon sunk to 80 feet below the water line ;( Well it at least caught a fish first...Son said it had to be donated to the fish GOD :roll:

Had a shaker on a yellow five of diamonds doctor spoon... flipped us the fin and kept flippin after it got off. Several knockoffs and nobody home. packed it in after 6:30 pm. That's it for now... will report tomorrow if the fish GOD has smiled upon our bestowing of monetary expense and shiney new offering

Mark

Mark, We were out there all day at the Oak on that lovely water. We got a few steelies on watermelon early then it shut down for a while. Also had one king release. Picked up a few later on the 42 second and a green glow j plug. Water was tough! I am steel swaying today.

Paul

Well, the fish GOD frowned upon our offering today and awarded us a long slow boat ride down west again where we were yesterday. The fish had vanished from the area....too much NE wind ;( Top it off the wind GOD said he was disturbed for no offering and began to blow ever so much harder this afternoon and made an uncomfortable ride back to port.

Tomorrow we will go out and see if the remnants of Fay will ruin the day...a lot of boats were out east in a bout 100 to 120 feet by late morn...most were wondering what happened to the fish, some out west around the 19W line were getting a few hookups but they were out deeper than us... we were in 80ft. Marked some bait 50, 60, and deeper around the 70 to 80 ft depth, but they were scattered in small pods. Wish I had a better report but it was tough today is all I can say.

Mark

Today the 28th the Fish GOD smiled and told the wind GOD to blow us out to where the fish are :roll: Wind God said let me blow about 20knots out of the south and see if we liked that!...OK so we were out east this time off the flats and took a steelhead on a nk mag 42 second spoon down 60 over 180... turns out to be a 11 lb'r on my hand scale..so we call Sharon at Narby's to ask if it might be worth the look into fish of the day...she said it could since yesterday it was taken by a 10.6 lb steelhead...ya never know!...so we decide to ice it a nd continue to fish with the wind blowing us out further to the 240 and 250 ft depth... west troll slipping sideways to the north at 2.7,,2.9 on the gps...three kings 11 to 17lb came.... two on a mono dipsey out 180 on a 2 setting no ring pulling a green crushglow spinny and jitter fly pretty jane. The other on a nk mag 42 second spoon off the rigger.

J- plug running out 300 took something small that got of halfway to the boat...then last thing of the day a skipper took the copper with the j- plug out 150ft and snafu'd the whole other program by being stealthy and hitching a ride for who knows how long ...ended the day five for seven

Ugly was the snafu...bad was the wind but not scary...good is this shot of the steelhead at the weigh in scale ....here is where I learned my hand scale was off by 3 lbs light :shock: steely weighed in at 12lb 15 oz and 32 inches for a shot at the LOC board...Son caught the fish and was shocked that it was that big and he was on the LOC board...HURRAY, my name in lights he says.

aVu1969.jpg

All the Kings came from 35 ft down 240 to 250 fow at 2.8 gps... familiar bite took no hits all day... will try to post a group pic of the catch tommorow.... will post if we go out tommorow... have a good weekend and be safe

Mark

We didn't get out today but we will tomorrow out of the Oak...a few pics of yesterdays adventure after a good drying out.....Thanks a lot Fay..like we needed that :roll:

PqBIVuJ.jpg

One of the kings yesterday on a fly spinny and dipsey combo...down 35 at 240 fow...That's my boy Chris with the smile and the hand scale weighing fish 3 lbs light.

PqBJDoi.jpg

Back at Skippers fishing lodge AKA...Mark's garage...that's me the guy on the left..slightly bald ...OK, ok... it's a solar panel for a fishing machine 8) , younger version is Chris my son on the right with the hair I donated to him....21 years ago :lol:

See ya out there tomorrow ;) ...will report as usual...ta..ta and tight lines

Mark

Satrurday 8/30....Wow some of you guys really get up early! We got to the county launch at 6am and it was full... so we went to the other side. Chris and I went east out of port and set up in front of the glass house in 115 fow...10 minutes after setup a 17lb king gobbles up the pretty jane jitter fly out 180ft on a mono dpsey set on 2, behind a green crush glow spinny....see him on the scale held by Coors Light shirt (aka Chris)

PqF3om9.jpg

Then it was quiet for a while except for the radio chatter about where did the fish go? Indeed it was a tough morning for a lot of folks on the inside and most went north after 10am including us. We went to the 200fow out from the glass house and Chris gets another LOC board steelhead at 13lb 9 oz on the same nk mag spoon, in 42 second, off the rigger set at 45ft.. It's in the net with the nk stuck way down the gullet and bleeding out badly... the fish weighed 12 on my light scale so we added 2.5 to it and figured maybe 14.5 lb...and it probably was before we got to the scale at Narby's but it lost a lot of fluids on the way in and weighed at the official scale 13lb 9oz replacing his previous 12lb 15oz place fish two days before.

PqF4CGA.jpg

We had one more steelhead 8lb after that out at 230 fow on the same nk mag at the same setings...then we figured it would be a good idea to run in and weigh the first steely and get a lunch. Waves were crazy about mid morn.. needed a break from that anyway. so it was slow but we got all three in the boat that decided to play. After lunch we went back out for 3 hours without a hit so we went back in at 6pm

Will be out again in the am... post about it later...good luck and be safe..

Mark

Last day everyone for the big one! yesterday was slow ...went inside at the glass house for two hrs.. nothing.. 65 boats out there.. nothing from them either... ran north to 28 29 lines and managed a coho about 10 inches on a fly :roll: it was cute... had some diapers on it that were fastened on by spoons that said if found return to Ray K..one steely at about 8 lbs returned and off at noon... here I go out the door for the biggun... see ya out there :D

Mark

Man what a nice day! Smooth ride too! started off out west thia time around the pump house and moved east to just pass the wall in 55fow....threading the needle with a lot off traffic...2hrs and that was enough watching nobody swing a net but one..and that was not us!...So we picked up and ran north to the 28 line at 15w and reset trolling north...15 minutes trolling, Chris grabs a rod off the rigger pulling the 42 second mag spoon down 60 feet...long tussle with this pictured below

aVIWT2S.jpg

A king :shock: Imagine that... we were trying in close for a king and we come out here to the 28line for steels and there it is...this 23lbr

gxAGZH9.jpg

This is one of many steelhead we caught between the 30 and 32 lines... all were great fish just like this from 8lbs to 11lbs...they came mostly on copper out 400 and 300 feet pulling a pro-troll echip flasher white and pearl/chrome pulling a 4" blue dolphin jitter fly, running of the outriggers...nk 28 took a couple..as well of the down riggers. Doctor spoon took a hit on a slider and dropped one 30 feet behind the boat....lost count on the steels, just a lot of them all nice and released:) Hope every one had a fun safe weekend.

Mark