Carbon in my Merc!

Catatonk Paul

Mercury makes a product call Quickleen it is AMAZING. Mix it in your fuel and it removes carbon. I have a Vaerado 250 and when I troll long it will top out at 5700 RPM. Add the Quickleen and run it. Within and hour it is back to 6300. I have a bore scope and you can see what is inside the cylinders before and after. It works like magic. Now that I know it works I buy in bulk in the big jugs from the Verado Club Parts. I mix it in on almost every fill up. It is pretty expensive, but really works.92-8M0058691-2.jpg

Thanks for the info!!  I'll have a newer 2007 15hp Merc 4 stroke to bolt on come spring, I firmly believe in Sea Foam I run every other tank of fuel. But will keep the quickclean in mind

13 hours ago, 180ccf said:

Quickleen is very much like SeaFoam. I would also put it right there with Yamaha's ring free. All excellent products and all of them work like magic.

I have an older 2 stroke Merc, and have been using Sea Foam in my fuel for the last 4 years. It has made a world of difference in performance. I troll the big lake all season and have no more carbon problems. There is a "de-carb" process you can do to clear the existing carbon using Sea Foam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXcfsmuruc0

Edited by J.D.

Lots of good advice thank you. Been running with non ethanol gas last two years. Yes I troll with it but run it wide open when I'm done usually ten miles or more back to the camp. Thought that would keep it blow the carbon out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I used a 84-15hp Evenrude for years to troll with, I always ran 93 no corn juice, and I only ever used Amsoil 100-1 mix. I had a really old merc. 40-1 and the salesman of Amsoil told me to mix a 5 gallon batch up at 100-1 and run my old club of a motor from Preachers camp to the dam and back if it blew up he'd buy me a BRAND NEW Merc so I did, that's 14 miles, needless to say I still have the motor, even in my 88SPL I ran Amsoil 100-1 never had carbon problems and changed plugs ever couple of years. Plus I run Sea Foam every other tank of fuel. Here's something else, I have a 22' Sea Ray Cuddy, I needed to run way more rpm's to reach trolling speed I think is beyond carbon build up. 1/4-3/8 sometimes half throttle, maybe that's why I never had this problem. I won't know until next year how the 4stroke 15hp will be, but the Sea Foam will be still used. 

Yea Double Dipping, both you have to have patience if your going there!!! It's been so warm the jet ski's and pleasure boaters are still at it, but yea the stripers are getting nice, the eyes average from 18-24" but it's a grind!! You can be out there for hours and nothing and then for a hour it's crazy fishing just like that it's over. I've come to find in the ball park, around 11pm-2am and just before the break of day those are the hours they want to play:lol: