Wanted 400 feet of weighted steel line

31 minutes ago, RiggedSFC said:

Back it with the 19 strand wire you'll be good to go. No need for a 400!

We run a 200' with 19 strand and it's comparable IMO to our 450 copper when an actual 450' is off the spool.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I tried that but I found out that in order to get the same depth I had to add a weight. It all depends on the speed and size of lure. My trial was at a speed of 2.8 miles with a magnum lure over 80 foot of water On one side I had 400 copper and on the other side 200 feet of 19 strand and 200 feet of weighted steel. The copper hit bottom  but the wire did not. After adding some weight, the wire hit bottom as well. Besides, I picked up a Penn 345 with a small extension coming out of the center of the handle. It is made to stick a drill onto and it can reel the line in reel quick. Since I no longer want do deal with copper, I want to fill this reel with 400 weighted steel, 200 19 strand and a lot of backing.

Edited by rolmops

Matthew of Torpedo has a few youtubes out with really interesting knots for the 7 strand,the 19 strand and the weighted steel. Personally I like to use the Albright with shrink tubing or super glue. In order to be able to properly tighten the knot on the wire I spray it with some WD40 or silicone spray. That way it has enough lubrication  to properly tighten. This keeps the knots from clumping up and causing trouble when it goes through the guides.

Make sure your 19 strand footage is "actual" footage. Once that large diameter switches to the smaller 19 strand your LC will be off (one way or another). We measured the 19 strand off of our reel and 250' actual line off of our reel (after the weighted steel was off) showed much more shown on the LC.

Ok, you have convinced me. I will go with a convector with 200 weighted steel and 250 19 strand . Also a Penn 340 with 300 weighted steel and 300 19 strand. But no 400 weighted steel.

That means that I have a Penn 345 in splendid condition for sale. You will find it in the classified section within the next few days.

Cornelis.

Why not load up the 19 strand on the back half of the reel? That way you can use 200-300-400 etc... we have 1000' of 19 strand and 200 weighted steel so we can run whatever we want really from a 200' to a 700' depending on where the fish are. The idea of the weighted steel IMO is to be able to reach multiple depths with 1 reel (and of course have very user friendly wire)!

Btw we run it on tekota 800's

1 hour ago, RiggedSFC said:

Why not load up the 19 strand on the back half of the reel? That way you can use 200-300-400 etc... we have 1000' of 19 strand and 200 weighted steel so we can run whatever we want really from a 200' to a 700' depending on where the fish are. The idea of the weighted steel IMO is to be able to reach multiple depths with 1 reel (and of course have very user friendly wire)!

Btw we run it on tekota 800's

That it what I have right now on my convector 45. But I like like to run it off the boards on both sides instead of out the back. I considered using a Magda pro 45 but the level wind guide is just a bit too narrow to allow the knots through, and besides,quite honestly ,I do not trust the quality of the Magda. That is why I'm thinking Penn 340. I would love to use  tekota 800 reels ,but 2 of those is one return ticket to San Francisco where the grand kids live and the wife likes to go there a few times each year.

Edited by rolmops

You can use the 19 strand off of boards in clips it will not hurt the line. We have run our set ups off boards all year without 1 issue.

I would definitely put at least up to 500' of 19 strand on the reel just so you have a 200-700 foot long line.