Zebra Mussel Cooling Issue

jlogger

My out drive got completely enveloped in zebra mussels this year. I have never had any mussel problems before this. Eventually led to temperature issues with engine near the end of the season. Anyone know of any fixes to keep the zebra mussels off of the out drive and why they were suddenly a problem this year?

Thanks

Raise the outdrive all the way up when you are docked. Zebra die when they are out of the water. If your boat is on a triler you should lower the outdrive into a big bucket with vinegar or some other descaling acid. It cleans out the intake which is where they cause the damage.

Edited by rolmops

The problem is with the muscles in the larva stage  They get sucked into the drive and grow in your drive.  I had the same issue years ago when I kept my boat on Ibay.  Mine died over the winter and the shells killed my 1 year old impellor. 

4 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

The problem is with the muscles in the larva stage  They get sucked into the drive and grow in your drive.  I had the same issue years ago when I kept my boat on Ibay.  Mine died over the winter and the shells killed my 1 year old impellor. 

WOW, Brian that sucks!!, not the worst part to replace, just the point of these damn little pricks ruined your lower unit pump. Time you could be using for other things maybe more fun or prosperous!!

The drive was painted with drive paint the past two seasons. Didn't help this year though. Unfortunately it does not trim far enough up to get the water intake ports out of the water. From what you're saying Brian, it looks like I am also putting another impeller in this year again though.

52 minutes ago, lost a lure said:

Be careful if you trim the drive all the way up. It may stress the bellows and gives the muskrats easy access

Yeah, something got my shifter bellows 4 years back. Boat almost went down. I'm having the bellows and gimble done this winter as a preventative measure against normal wear and tear.

On 10/23/2017 at 9:38 AM, jlogger said:

My out drive got completely enveloped in zebra mussels this year. I have never had any mussel problems before this. Eventually led to temperature issues with engine near the end of the season. Anyone know of any fixes to keep the zebra mussels off of the out drive and why they were suddenly a problem this year?

Thanks

The mussels in I-Bay were exceptionally bad this year. I've seen numerous boat bottoms completely covered with an inch of them if they weren't bottom painted. I have an outboard so haven't had an issue, but I did find transducers, trim tabs, outboard motor bracket and three water intakes all loaded up. Several Muriatic acid sprays and power washes did the trick. Bottom paint helps but only on flat hull surfaces. Not outdrives it seems. 

I would at least have it looks at Jack.  Although, replacing an impellor early is not always a bad idea.  IBay is really bad for muscles.  I have my boat on Sandy now and barley have any at the seasons end.  I wonder if the creek flow has something to do with it. 

I just put in an impeller in early '16. I'll just do another. Perch fishing is good in the bay right now so maybe another week or so before I'll pull it and see what I have to deal with. I think I may just have the marina wash it down this year. I don't really need 10 lbs of mussels in the driveway.