Keuka Keuka Lake Landlocked Salmon Basic Technique?

Keuka Lake Landlocked Salmon Basic Technique?

Can anyone point me towards the basics of targeting landlocked salmon on Keuka Lake?

I've been able to locate and successfully apply specifics to the lake trout.

(Jigging white tube jig works best for me, I prefer jigging to passive downrigger trolling)

If anyone can share a particular lure & method that will put a salmon in the boat, or send me to a Keuka-specific guide, that would be great. Thanks in advance.

• 6 months later...

You definitely want to go to Cayuga for landlocks. They are plentiful and there are some tanks in there. You want to look for bait pods and fish 25-40 feet down in the summer. Early spring they will be up high in the water column, top 15 feet. I definitely recommend trolling for them, you can cover more water and better your chances for multiple hook ups. Once you get one, go a little farther and turn around and go right back through that spot. Where theres one, theres more

• Like 1

They are there, but some of us have fished Keuka for decades and never caught one.. Just not that many in there... Best bet is fish Cayuga or Seneca  if you want salmon.. bob
Just as many in keuka as there is seneca.. look at stocking records. Cayuga gets double what seneca and keuka get. It's amazing.

Nick

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

19 hours ago, lakebound88 said:

Just as many in keuka as there is seneca.. look at stocking records. Cayuga gets double what seneca and keuka get. It's amazing.

Nick

I won't argue that, but the fact remains that most of us simply don't see landlocks in Keuka.. Can't say why , but they  might get outcompeted by the lakers for the limited forage base... bob

Stocking numbers for keuka might be just as high or higher than Seneca but no way they survived well in keuka. As others have said you can fish all year on keuka and will be lucky if you catch 5 or 10 silver. DEC blamed the high laker population for many years which I guess I agree with. There have certainly been a ton of Lakers out there the last 10 or 15 years.  

Could it also be possible that a number of the ones stocked in Kueka head down the outlet for "the Ocean,"  which turns out to be Seneca? 
I wish, then seneca would be amazing fishing for them, but it's been super slow salon fishing for the last 4 years. Hope to see more.

Nick