Want to do on a rainy afternoons? Continue processing a deer!

Kevin J Legg

Decided this rainy Sunday afternoon was a good time to get some chores done. After church I finished boning and packaging the deer I got last week. It should be properly aged as it spent 9 days in my extra refrigerator and looks great.

Now I need to get a couple pork buts and grind all the trimmed venison and mix some into burger, breakfast sausage, and Italian sausage. I will also save a bag of the better pieces from the trimmings to make a batch of jerky. The loins, steaks, tenderloins, sirloins, and sirloin tips are vacuum sealed and in the freezer.

I saved all the bones and roasted them on my grill and they are now simmering on the stove with garlic, onion, celery, dried tomatoes and carrot. I'll pick all the meat, cool it and remove any tallow and freeze it with broth in gallon ziplock bags for easy delicious soups and stew. It's amazing how much meat is on those bones even with careful trimming. Not a scrap wasted.

I also had 2 gallons of raspberries frozen on trays that I put in gallon ziplock bags and returned to the freezer. They are for pies, jam or smoothies.

Now I'm going to relax for the rest of the afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Interesting recipe reeleyz. I've braised the shank before and this is similar. I just took bones out of the stock pot and picked the meat and I got 3 lbs. that nearly everyone throws away. I also have about 3 gallons of great stock. I only occasionally have a deer commercially cut as I prefer to do it myself. I know I use every bit of meat and it's always very good quality.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Kevin, i have always wanted to try making broth with the bones.... someone recently told me that they had a bad experience rendering stock from deer. It tasted poorly. They attributed it to the tallow..... is there a particular method that works for you?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I cook the neck roast in a crock pot all day with non bitter beer and bay leaves.  Add some garlic and pepper sometimes.  I pull the meat off and let it shred in a bowl and add sweet baby rays and stuff between toasted bread.  Tastes better than any of the other roasts.  I attribute this to the tallow and marrow.

side note:  I use this for those turkey drums too that everyone hates dealing with.  Just have to be careful of the small bones.

I corn the necks and treat like a New England boiled dinner ( corned beef ), pick off the meat for sandwiches , hash or go for the dinner. Sometimes just nice to have a carafe of beer and good friends around and pick around the bones by the fire.

DtD,
I have corned venison and also goose breast. It comes out great. I've even made it into pastrami. Also both venison and goose is very good canned.
Finished grinding the venison and mixed it with pork butt. Ended up with 13 # burger, 10# breakfast sausage, and 10# Italian sausage. I have 4# frozen and sliced for jerky. Finally done with the deer processing. I may be slow but I'm thorough and really like the results.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

Nothing like processing a deer yourself. Wish it didnt bother my wife so much or id do it more. Canned vennison is one of my favorites. Thanks for tip on the broth kevin. I will give it a run this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United