Time to check your fire extinguishers on your boat for recall

pvelyk

Time to check your fire extinguishers on your boat for recall

DETROIT (AP) - More than 40 million fire extinguishers in the U.S. and Canada because they might not work in an emergency.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission says on its website that it's aware of one death because of a problem with extinguishers made by Kidde. In 2014, extinguishers didn't work for emergency responders who were trying to fight a car fire after a crash.

The recall covers 134 models of push-button and plastic-handle extinguishers made from 1973 through Aug. 15 of this year.

The government says the extinguishers can become clogged. Also, the nozzle can come off and pose an injury hazard.

Owners should contact Kidde to ask for a replacement and for instructions on how to return recalled models.

Kidde can be reached at (855) 271-0773 or at www.kidde.com.

I was told years ago that you should not have/use any extinguishers with plastic parts on them in a boat because the bouncing & wave pounding will break off the flow tube inside & they will not work if needed . They will still show fully charged but will not work!

Good to know.  I would have figured plastic would be preferred from a corrosion standpoint but what you said makes sense, especially in light of the recall.  Of course my boats asleep in storage so this might be a springtime check for me.

Thanks for the info!! Of course I bought 2 for my boat, and never took them out of the boxes. I'm pretty damn sure there kiddies, I bought them in Walmart over in WaterTown on Arsenal St. I'm sure if there the kind any Walmart should replace them, IF I put the receipt in the box. Otherwise I'll be buying 2 more. Can't put a price on Safety First.:yes::yes:

Plastic are throw a ways meaning if you have to use them they can't be recharged. Aside from that you're far better ahead spending the extra money for an all metal. It's something you hope you never need but if you do you need it to work. 

Thank You for the heads up..... I checked the website and both my marine extinguishers were in the recall.  2 new replacements are on their way to me, free of charge.

Edited by J.D.

• 1 month later...

I called the number of the Kiddie Recall and the girl on the phone had no idea how to go about getting them replaced. all she told me was check the nu,mbers. well I have a couple dozen that are on the recall list.  how who did you contact to get them replaced?  My Boats have a couple feet of ice and snow on them right now so I wont be able to get at a few of the extingushers till spring. need to get the ones out of the trucks, wookshop, garage, basement, shed, kitchen and bathrooms.  Yea. I'm a Submariner. Have put out more fires and floods ( 24 ft boat only has 5 Bildge Pumps) in it) Need fire extinguishers handy.

Edited by WickedGood

I called and had 10 of them and only one needed to be replaced and it was pretty old but they gave me a real nice commercial grade one to replace it....came yesterday. I had to give all the numbers to the lady and she then told me just the one needed replacing. Hard to see some of the number codes on the extinguishrs but ws worth doing.

7 hours ago, WickedGood said:

I called the number of the Kiddie Recall and the girl on the phone had no idea how to go about getting them replaced. all she told me was check the nu,mbers. well I have a couple dozen that are on the recall list.  how who did you contact to get them replaced?

Here's the link for Kidde's recall info:

https://inmarmarketaction.com/kidde/Kidde284US/