Kicker motor questions

vetting

Kicker motor questions

Looking to add a kicker motor over the winter.  I'd like to be able to track down a 9.9 25" shaft Mercury bigfoot.  Is this big enough for a 25ft Cobia Cuddy Cabin.  
Boat specs are
1989 Cobia Boats/Robalo
ODYSSEY 265FC
5000lbs

Currently the boat has an 5.7 I/O with cable steering with a power steering pump.  Its controlled with an Raymarine EV-200 autopilot (wheel pilot).  It seems to turn fine without power steering.  

So is the kicker big enough or should I look for a 15hp model?

Should I just use the kicker for thrust and turn the boat with the main I/O or should they be connected?

Long rod for sale on here, good price also!! I had a 9.9 on my Sea Ray cuddy 22fter and last year I ran a 15hp 2 stroke, much better, so much better I bought a 15hp 4 stroke, so quiet. I can't wait to try it next your.

I had a 25ft walkaround with twin 200's and a 9.9 high thrust 4-stroke yamaha,it pushed the boat just fine up to around 3 footers,wind/waves bigger then that and you would have to run the big motor to get turned into the waves.look into what a "high thrust"motor is equal to,from what I have been told,it is equal in pushing power to a 20hp,believe its cause of the prop size.what ever you go with,go with a 4-stroke,so smooth,quiet,and no fumes,like in a 2-stroke.also,you can use a control king instead of a control box and cables,controll king gives you precise trolling speeds.

I have a 9.9 merc 25” shaft for a 24ft chapparral sport fisherman which weighs 3900 dry. Tops out at about 5 knots. Works great, no issues. Just need to connect it to the main because steering is a pain in the ass

I had a 25ft walkaround with twin 200's and a 9.9 high thrust 4-stroke yamaha,it pushed the boat just fine up to around 3 footers,wind/waves bigger then that and you would have to run the big motor to get turned into the waves.look into what a "high thrust"motor is equal to,from what I have been told,it is equal in pushing power to a 20hp,believe its cause of the prop size.what ever you go with,go with a 4-stroke,so smooth,quiet,and no fumes,like in a 2-stroke.also,you can use a control king instead of a control box and cables,controll king gives you precise trolling speeds.

X2

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have the 9.9 Merc on my 23' Baha and it pushes fine but like said waves get up into the 4' range I need the big engine. Waves start building that high though and we're usually going back. I also had a Panther and while true you can control it from anyplace on the boat it's much easier with the motors connected with an EZ Steer and using the steering wheel, especially if you have someone that doesn't fish much at the helm. 

One of the things I recently discovered with my boat is that there are differences in the way a four stroke vs. two stroke handles the steering given the same shaft length. My 2 stroke 9.9 would push my boat at about 9-10 mph top end (wide open) while the new 4 stroke will do about 6 mph top end (Same shaft length and prop type etc.) . The big difference is in the steering in wind or rough water because the 4 stroke has more torque.I no longer need the EZ steer or anything for that matter I merely steer with my 135 Merc (outboard) . A couple things come to mind to consider in your situation:The first is shaft length - make sure you get the right shaft length for your situation (i.e. long enough) and measure correctly to correspond with your big motor, Consider a high thrust kicker as most of the job it does will be pushing the boat at those lower trolling speeds, a 15 horse kicker may not have to work quite as hard and may offer a little more speed in an emergency getting you back to shore, There may be a significant weight differential (on the transom) between the two motors depending on what features they have and the fuel consumption will be different but these new 4 strokes are really good on fuel during normal circumstances.

Edited by Sk8man

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 9.9 Yamaha on my Proline 25 Walk and it has plenty of power. The only issue I have is the 6 amp alternator (rated @ wot) doesn't keep up on battery charge especially when fishing deep riggers.  When I update I'll look for higher rated alternator which might mean going to 15hp.  Seems high speed riggers draw more juice than the old slow riggers.

1 hour ago, mr 580 said:

I have a 9.9 Yamaha on my Proline 25 Walk and it has plenty of power. The only issue I have is the 6 amp alternator (rated @ wot) doesn't keep up on battery charge especially when fishing deep riggers.  When I update I'll look for higher rated alternator which might mean going to 15hp.  Seems high speed riggers draw more juice than the old slow riggers.

I have 2 of the biggest Cabelas AGMs on the boat -  dont ask me how but my orange alternator wire broke once and the boat still ran for an entire trip :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...