Draft NYSDEC Lake Sturgeon Recovery Plan

I'm am all for the recovery, but I doubt seriously if a fishery is either desirable or possible in the near future.   Put-grow- take is not likely to be possible for a fish that takes 15 years (males) to 30 years (females) to reach spawning age.  Numbers stocked in any given year are small due to the difficulties in obtaining eggs.  Only 1000 went into the Genesee this past year, and they are not introduced every year.  And do we really want crews of poachers out on the tributaries with snatching rigs taking the fish for eggs and meat for sale in the spring as well as the fall?   We have enough problems in the tributaries with the salmon run as it is.   Maybe they will be viable for our grand kids, but....

47 minutes ago, Lucky13 said:

I'm am all for the recovery, but I doubt seriously if a fishery is either desirable or possible in the near future.   Put-grow- take is not likely to be possible for a fish that takes 15 years (males) to 30 years (females) to reach spawning age.  Numbers stocked in any given year are small due to the difficulties in obtaining eggs.  Only 1000 went into the Genesee this past year, and they are not introduced every year.  And do we really want crews of poachers out on the tributaries with snatching rigs taking the fish for eggs and meat for sale in the spring as well as the fall?   We have enough problems in the tributaries with the salmon run as it is.   Maybe they will be viable for our grand kids, but....

You honestly thing snaggers and poachers will care about the laws?  Legal C&R fishing or not, they will rape the fishery......I would love the chance to fush sturgeon In my lifetime.