When your times up

When your times up

Fellas some of you know that my father in law had cancer, we were told we have exhausted all other options. We brought him as per his wish, which was our home, which was his home other than to sleep. We had hospice come in and we followed their instructions to the T. They upped his meds. which I thought at first, how am I ever going to do this. Well I didn't have to do it long, as Ronnie never wanted to be a thorn in our side, so at 9:13 last night he decided to cross over to the other side, to a way better place. I couldn't bring myself to say this last night. I would hope that you guys and gals would say a prayer for our families to guide us through this very tough time and wish us the strength to hold our heads up and keep marching forward through this very difficult time. I feel as if you guys are brothers and sisters to me. God has opened his arms for my father in law, and now I would like for you guys to help our family with just a little help by wishing our family a little help to get us to the other side of the river during this very trying time. Your friend and brother!! Mike aka PAP.

So sorry Pap. May he Rest In Peace and may your family find comfort in knowing he is no longer suffering or enduring any pain. I’m still battling this cancer myself and would never wish any of this on my worst enemy. CANCER SUCKS. Keep your head high and be strong for your family bud. 

Pap I’m new to this site but not to life. My family has recently buried my mother in law due to Cancer. Take refuge that your loved one is no longer in pain and feeling as if they are a burden. And as I am a God fearing man I believe there is a heaven and a I pray that Ronnie is with the Lord. And I pray that others will remember him and Honor him with memories. This I pray for you and your family. 

Thanks guys!!! We did everything together, actually we got along better than his own son!! He told me Tuesday that he couldn't have mail ordered a better son in law, he has no worries that I would provide for his daughter and granddaughters, because he always referred me to old school.

Edited by pap

3 hours ago, King Slammin said:

So sorry Pap. May he Rest In Peace and may your family find comfort in knowing he is no longer suffering or enduring any pain. I’m still battling this cancer myself and would never wish any of this on my worst enemy. CANCER SUCKS. Keep your head high and be strong for your family bud. 

Hey Slammin how the hell are you?? I didn't hear or see ya on the sight for a long time. I often wondered about how you were making out, but I didn't want to stir the dust up!! I'm so greatful that you replied!! I knew your predicaments. Best of luck listen to the docs, nothing to F'k around with. My father in law found out he had cancer 8/17 and passed away last night. Good to hear from ya buddy, Fish ON man!!!  Mike aka PAP

42 minutes ago, pap said:

Hey Slammin how the hell are you?? I didn't hear or see ya on the sight for a long time. I often wondered about how you were making out, but I didn't want to stir the dust up!! I'm so greatful that you replied!! I knew your predicaments. Best of luck listen to the docs, nothing to F'k around with. My father in law found out he had cancer 8/17 and passed away last night. Good to hear from ya buddy, Fish ON man!!!  Mike aka PAP

I’m good bud. I worked my ass off after my chemo radiation therapy ended this summer to stack some money for the pending surgery this fall. Had a successful resection with temporary ileostomy on oct 3rd. Just been trying to recover and battle through some complications since then. There was two positive lymph nodes and some vascular intrusion outside of the tumor bed. I start more chemo on nov 15th and will have one every two weeks for a total of 12 treatments. Hoping to avoid most of the side effects associated with Folfox chemotherapy. Should be able to get out on the ice in between treatments, at least that’s what I’m focusing on. Sorry again to hear about your father in law. I hate this disease. 

1 minute ago, King Slammin said:

I’m good bud. I worked my ass off after my chemo radiation therapy ended this summer to stack some money for the pending surgery this fall. Had a successful resection with temporary ileostomy on oct 3rd. Just been trying to recover and battle through some complications since then. There was two positive lymph nodes and some vascular intrusion outside of the tumor bed. I start more chemo on nov 15th and will have one every two weeks for a total of 12 treatments. Hoping to avoid most of the side effects associated with Folfox chemotherapy. Should be able to get out on the ice in between treatments, at least that’s what I’m focusing on. Sorry again to hear about your father in law. I hate this disease. 

God bless you man!! my family will be pulling for you, I wish the best, no one deserves this crud. Great to hear from ya!!!

Thank you Fishnut and Bobby416n, I've had great dealings with you 2 guys. Both of you guys have gone above and beyond for me. I respectfully thank you for your thoughts and prayers. I know I could ask either one of you guys for help and you'd be there in a heartbeat. Thanks to all that have posted their thoughts in this very trying time. I thought I was prepared for this, but the emptiness in our household is very trying. No phone calls, no need to cook a meal. The last couple of good days, I made whatever he wanted, home made vegetable beef soup made with (mountain beef) hamburger on the grill and his last request was a porterhouse steak on the grill medium rare, baked potato and garden grown string beans. Yes I'm the chief cook and bottle washer. Being disabled cooking gives me a sense of accomplishment. Thanks folks definitely food for the soul!!

Sorry to hear of your loss Pap. You know what I went through with my wife last year.   I had her home doing all the meds & care 24/7  never thought I could do it but I guess we do what we have to.  My prayers are with you, your family & King Slammin also.     We would have been married 47 yrs. this Tuesday.(11/7)  King S. is right cancer sucks!

Edited by lineman49

Thanks again Chad and Lineman49, yea Lineman, my wife and I took care of him since mid August until the,last day. They moved his meds to every 2 hrs and every 4 hrs on the others, I knew by that it was getting serious. I did this for my dad my brother my mother in law and now my father in law. I thought how in the hell am I going to do this!! I set my alarm for 2-4-6, and every 4 hrs he gets the other meds. Friday night at 9:13 pm. I was trying to get my charger cord out from under his bed with out moving it when I heard the snoring stopped, he was always a heavy breather his chest would rise quite a bit, like a nit-wit I even sighted across his chest and I saw my wife and brother in law looking over at me. Now I made a big meal of pork any sour kraut and the whole family sat down and ate. My sister in law and my niece went home around 8:00 pm and my daughters went to their home field football game, so it was just us 3 his daughter and son and me. I told him our favorite show was coming on at 9:00 the gold diggers, so he hung in there till all the grand daughters were gone and 13 minutes into gold rush, before he left go and joined his wife and other relatives, plus my dad and brother!! I said to the wife and Rodney his son, "I think it's over guys" that's when we all realized OMG!!  We called the hospice nurse and she was their within 10 minutes if that. She pronounced him gone. I guess he didn't want the girls as they were his everything to witness this. He called my wife Dianne, his wife's name towards the very end at this point I believe he had contacts with the other side and he was ready to leave us and join his fellow friends and wife at the gates of heaven, which he was definitely ready for. He told us he was going to be sad to leave us but was ready to go into the arms of heaven and his wife. So I told our daughters that our loss of grandpa was heavens gain, and we shall not be greedy with our wants. 

Wow PAP, I’m very sorry and you are all in our prayers, from my family to yours. We’ve been rooting for your Father-In-Law, that he would kick this nasty disease, but heaven had a different plan. You can rest in the fact that he didn’t have to suffer too long, even though what he did endure was likely tough to watch. Hold on to his memory and keep your chin up. Your Father-In-Law is right - his family is in great hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Mike- So sorry things turned out this way for your father-in-law Our condolences to you and your family. I've lost a grandmother, grandfather, father, and other extended family members to that lousy disease over the years and I hope to God they find a viable cure for it soon.

Chris -Best wishes for a full recovery bud. It sounds as though your attitude is positive and that is a lot of the battle won right there. I look forward to seeing you out on the ice on Honeoye soon. Les

Edited by Sk8man

Thank you guys, somehow everyday I think I have everything under control and I'm rock solid with it all and I'm going to do this or that, when all of a sudden, it's like someone kicks the stilts out from under me. I know I need to stay strong for my family, but sometimes I just can't do it. When my father passed I found refuge in the bottom of a Jim Beam bottle, almost lost my family, now I can't drink any thing anymore so I guess this is the real deal feelings you get when a love one passes. I really appreciate all the comments from the guys I deal with every day to those that comment just to show their compassion towards one losing a love one. What a great group of folks on LOU. I look forward to see who comments to this thread and you guys have not let me down one bit, as I suspected!!! Love you all PAP!!!

17 hours ago, Norm Moser said:

Sorry pap for your loss, may your families wounds heal fast, thoughts and prayers.

Thanks Norm, I appreciate your thoughts and prayers. Gonna miss my hunting buddy, for sure!! I know a lot of the properties he had permission to  hunt the folks called to give their condolences, and said don't forget about your hunting spots. I have a permit to shoot from the vehicle, but I only ever did it once, I sit out side in a ground blind only because there's more room and can see 360. But very thankful for the permission to hunt!!!

6 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Sorry for your loss Pap. 

Thanks Brian, this has been a tough one on the whole family, he nearly lived with us since his wife died, 7 years ago, the only thing he did was go to work, he had a Tri Axels. He was self employed for 45 years, still working with just his own truck. He told the 2 other guys he was going to just 1 truck for himself, and gave the guys a chance to own a truck if they wanted. One guy bought one outright the guy went elsewhere. After his day was in he came here every night for dinner, then watch TV. until 10: ish then went home and on weekends he had pulling tractors, if there was a pull he'd be there if not he came over here. My daughters were his everything, and they worshiped the ground he walked on. We let the girls stay home yesterday yet, but today I said it's time you get with your friends and forget about things for a while!! They did ok getting there as I took them. Thanks again PAP.