Going deep

What size? Setting? Speed? Size wire? It all depends. You kinda have to test it out for your boat and style. For me with magnum dipsys,30# 7-strand, at 2.3ish over ground.... normally run 1.5 setting, 200’ out gives approximately 80’ down. 300’ about 110’. Measurements done a couple times with a fishhawk TD this past season.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I would spool your reels with wire. Cuts the water well and achieves better depth.

When I first started with divers, a mentor told me to use wire... So split a 1000’ spool on 2 reels and backed it with 40# mono, it worked well until a tangle left me with under 225’ of wire on one. Broke off, lost everything, dipsy, flasher, fly. [emoji30] Since, I’ve spooled all 1000’ on my reels. A bit more expensive but, it’s better to be able to trim pigtails and kinks in the end when you have 1000 on the reel. IMHO from my short experience trolling deep Water.

Twillys with wire. I've hit bottom in 150' of water but the only way to be sure is keep letting line out till you hit bottom.  Boat speed , lures and current all have an affect. I run as many as three dipsies per side . I run all with mag rings. Because I run riggers my first disy is mag dipsy on 1 setting, second dipsy is # 1 dipsy on 2 setting, Third is #1 dipsy on 3 setting. The key is let them out slowwwwww and keep a straight track. If currents are bad I run a Mag dipsy set on 1 and   number #1 dipsy set on 3 and seldom have any problems.  Wes

The charts are for 30 lb mono. I would never run that on a dipsy .Due to  stretch you would not be able to trip it if you had 300' of line out. Not sure why they don't have the chart for wire that is what everybody runs.  Wes

I'll have to double check but I swear it was wire

To get my “dipseys” deep quickly I use twenty pound braid. Less blowback with the fine diameter line. Only spoons or shallow stick baits that do not tip the “dipsey” back up . High drag lures like deep divers or flashers flatten out the the downward pull of the dipsey and result in shallow depths. Snap weights and rubber band sinkers are better for deep diving.

No matter how much line you put out, they reach a certain depth and go no deeper due to the drag from the line and large diameter line such as thirty pound mono will lift your dipsey up.

Buy a Fish Hawk TD to come up with your own depth chart with your variables. I spent 6 hrs on the water coming up with my depth chart and variables. Speed, outward dive setting, flasher type and size, spoon size, and then I picked up 2 John King diver disc weights which made my dipsy’s really dive my wire angle is almost 45 degrees. Take a kid with you that likes reel by the 15th time reeling in his arm was burning away but didn’t care. I told him practice makes perfect. Its was cheaper than buying the precision trollers bible and the wire was so nice and tight on the reel could of fit another 100ft

I would spool your reels with wire. Cuts the water well and achieves better depth.
When I first started with divers, a mentor told me to use wire... So split a 1000’ spool on 2 reels and backed it with 40# mono, it worked well until a tangle left me with under 225’ of wire on one. Broke off, lost everything, dipsy, flasher, fly. [emoji30] Since, I’ve spooled all 1000’ on my reels. A bit more expensive but, it’s better to be able to trim pigtails and kinks in the end when you have 1000 on the reel. IMHO from my short experience trolling deep Water.

Don't back it with mono. Just put the whole spool on the reel. Remember it's not the little ones that are going to break you off it's the fish of a lifetime that will. Don't cheap out and put more weak links in the set up

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

The best wire to get your divers deep is 7 strand American Fishing Wire (AFW) 30lb camo. It's diameter is a touch above most wire companies 20lb wire. You HAVE to be anal about handling it however. Out of the package it lays nice and straight, but once it's been used a few times it will want to coil (which leads to kinks) if you let the wire get loose. We've compared it to other 30lb wires on a Smart Troll and with other wires you need to let out 25' or more to achieve the same depth.

Twili Tips help smooth out the transition where the wire enters/leaves the rod, and eliminates some resistance. Although it's not a must it will make the experience better. Most tolling reels that hold the same amount as a Daiwa Sealine 47 will take 1000' of wire with ease.

30 lb wire is the way to go and for really deep dipsy trolling use a Deeper Diver. I have hit bottom at 151 ft with one with roughly 300 ft of wire out on the zero setting.