Which Auto Pilot To Get?

Todd in NY

3 hours ago, pap said:

LOL you mean to tell me the sun actually shines up there:lol: Ever time I even think about heading north once I get passed Syracuse the sun hides and the wind picks up and it doesn't quit till I'm on the southbound side of 81 going through Syracuse home bound :envy: LOL,,,

Lol, you are right about that. Maybe I should consider a small wind turbine. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of wind up here.

5 hours ago, wallyandre said:

Just start you’re main motor once in a while

That's a possibility too. Evinrude put a "weak" alternator in these 1989 150's. At 800 RPM they only put out 3 amps. At 5000 RPM they only put out 9 amps. But their 175HP motors from the same year were put on steroids in comparison, putting out 15 amps at 800 RPM and 35 amps at 5250 RPM. I'm still looking for a good deal on a used HDS. I'm a Humminbird guy by choice. I just can't wrap my head around the high cost of Lowrance HDS units. I can buy a new Gen 1 Helix 10 SI for $830 with fee shipping. Too many Lowrance units don't include the transducer, which also doesn't make sense to me. But like I said, I'm still looking for a used HDS gen 2 or 3 for the right price. And I want one with a 83/200 ducer at a minimum.

You can get them with or without the ducer, which is good considering guys might want to use their humminbird for a locator, but need the HDS to run autopilot only, or chartplotter/radar/autopilot (like me). Or if you want a second unit like me, why buy 2 ducers? Also, too many different ducer options to say "this is your transducer...hope you like it".

LOL you mean to tell me the sun actually shines up there:lol: Ever time I even think about heading north once I get passed Syracuse the sun hides and the wind picks up and it doesn't quit till I'm on the southbound side of 81 going through Syracuse home bound :envy: LOL,,,

Yea me too. I’m thinking wind mill. Lol [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think I finally found a good deal on an HDS 7 Gen2 non touch unit with the 83/200 transducer. So it's real tempting to get the Lowrance Outboard Pilot today while West Marine has their 15% off sale. Free shipping, and even with the $88 sales tax it's still $105 cheaper than the normal $1,300 selling price.

58 minutes ago, Tyee II said:

Just an FYI...if you buy from Hodges, it is 1170.00ish for the cable outboardpilot. It says 1300.00, but when you add to your cart the price drops. No tax and free shipping as well.

Thanks, good to know. I'll check it out.

No problem. I'm really pulling for you to get AP on your new to you rig! I went without for over 20 years on my Lund and told myself I wouldn't go without it on my new to me boat. I'm sure after fishing the new rig next year I will have to do the Lund up with AP next winter, lol...

2 hours ago, Tyee II said:

No problem. I'm really pulling for you to get AP on your new to you rig! I went without for over 20 years on my Lund and told myself I wouldn't go without it on my new to me boat. I'm sure after fishing the new rig next year I will have to do the Lund up with AP next winter, lol...

I've fished on at least 3 different boats this year that have AP, and it's a great game changer when fishing with just 2 guys in the boat.

2 hours ago, Todd in NY said:

They have some good prices on electronics. Luckily I found my unit for $350 shipped. With the price of the AP, that puts me about $700 over my budget :thinking:

Ha ha, for every fish I catch I’m probably damn near $700 an once:lol: really don’t know if that covers it!!!

6 hours ago, Todd in NY said:

Thanks Pap!

Your most welcome!!! Everyone one needs a break like this purchase!! I say hats off to the both of you!!  I will and can say with confidence that 90% of all my purchases have come from this very site, there's no way in he|| I'd be able to afford what I have both in boat wise arsenal and fishing arsenal if it weren't for the generous sales on this site. For instance I know this guy that can't afford to keep his camper, lot rent went up due to new owners, called me up cause he's selling off some of his gear. He wants as much if not more than you can buy at the store. I told him you'll never get what your asking. He got pizzed off at me so I got on my phone and went into the sales area and showed him the prices!! He told me they'll rust to nothing before I let them go for that price. I said well you can't eat stinger spoons either this winter and got in my truck.:thinking:

10 hours ago, Todd in NY said:

Pap, that mentality might be why there are so many rotted boats wasting away in people's yards, maybe they weren't willing to take less than what they thought it was worth.

Could very well be, I've never even thought about selling fish gear for a profit after I used it. One thing my dad told me as young man is anything that has tires or tits will cost you more money than it worth and so far he's 100% right :lol:

Could very well be, I've never even thought about selling fish gear for a profit after I used it. One thing my dad told me as young man is anything that has tires or tits will cost you more money than it worth and so far he's 100% right :lol:

True that!!! Lol [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app