Todd in NY

Which Auto Pilot To Get?

79 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, pap said:

LOL you mean to tell me the sun actually shines up there:lol: Ever time I even think about heading north once I get passed Syracuse the sun hides and the wind picks up and it doesn't quit till I'm on the southbound side of 81 going through Syracuse home bound :envy: LOL,,,

Lol, you are right about that. Maybe I should consider a small wind turbine. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of wind up here.

5 hours ago, wallyandre said:

Just start you’re main motor once in a while

That's a possibility too. Evinrude put a "weak" alternator in these 1989 150's. At 800 RPM they only put out 3 amps. At 5000 RPM they only put out 9 amps. But their 175HP motors from the same year were put on steroids in comparison, putting out 15 amps at 800 RPM and 35 amps at 5250 RPM. I'm still looking for a good deal on a used HDS. I'm a Humminbird guy by choice. I just can't wrap my head around the high cost of Lowrance HDS units. I can buy a new Gen 1 Helix 10 SI for $830 with fee shipping. Too many Lowrance units don't include the transducer, which also doesn't make sense to me. But like I said, I'm still looking for a used HDS gen 2 or 3 for the right price. And I want one with a 83/200 ducer at a minimum.

You can get them with or without the ducer, which is good considering guys might want to use their humminbird for a locator, but need the HDS to run autopilot only, or chartplotter/radar/autopilot (like me). Or if you want a second unit like me, why buy 2 ducers? Also, too many different ducer options to say "this is your transducer...hope you like it".

LOL you mean to tell me the sun actually shines up there:lol: Ever time I even think about heading north once I get passed Syracuse the sun hides and the wind picks up and it doesn't quit till I'm on the southbound side of 81 going through Syracuse home bound :envy: LOL,,,

Yea me too. I’m thinking wind mill. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app