trolling with evinrude e-tech?

finsntins

trolling with evinrude e-tech?

I'm looking to re-power and was looking for input on anyone who has racked up some hours trolling with an e-tech,200 hp and over.i have heard good things about them,but want to know about any issues with a lot of trolling hours on them.feel free to shoot me a p.m.with any info.thanks in advance.

Got twin 200hp HO etecs... they troll for 3-6hrs each before missing and getting loaded up, giving us 6-12hrs of trolling time. Depends how ya drive the boat before setting up to troll on how long they'll withstand trolling. These motors love to run hard so its important to let em rip best you can before trolling. If you plan to try to hit most economical cruise on way out and don't open em up, they simply will load up quicker and your troll will be short lived.

Honest experience.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

fleet tracker,thanks for being honest,they sound just like the fichts I have now,love to be run hard,but don't like to troll,which is the reason I'm re-powering.i have my heart set on Yamaha 4-strokes,but wanted to get some input on the e-techs,thanks again.

One thing to remember for all engines in general is that they can not be designed to operate their best at all RPM ranges. So they are designed by the engineers to produce the best torque, HP and efficiency in a specific RPM range for the application (which is definitely not at low RPM for a large engine)

That being said, even with a large 4 cycle engine, forcing it to troll all-day is not really what it was designed for. Granted that the 4 cycle engine is more tolerant to low speed operation than the 2 cycle engine, but it is till not designed to operate at low RPM's for an extended period of time.

The kicker engines are designed with a much different power curve  which allows them to produce torque, HP, and efficiency at a much lower RPM than a large engine. They do this in 4 cycle engines through camshaft timing design variations (and sometimes compression) and in 2 cycle engines the port design and exhaust system are designed optimize low RPM torque, HP, and efficiency.

(no opinions here just information)

I personally use a 4 cycle kicker for trolling

Edited by JAYRFRED

On 11/9/2017 at 8:10 PM, John E Powell said:

Go 4-stroke if you plan to troll on the mains without a kicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Was it you who recently sold a Whaler with twin 200 etec's?

No twin 225 Ficht.

If I was in a repower scenario like the original poster I would repower with 4 stroke.

I would however still purchase a used boat with V6 2-strokes if it was the boat I wanted and that’s how it was powered.

I’ve trolled on both, I personally prefer 4-strokes for trolling as they’re quieter.

The 2-strokes will use plugs, the 4-strokes will need more routine maintenance overall - 6 of one, half dozen of the other IMO.

If I was setting up a fast tournament boat from scratch it would be with a pair of ETEC G2 300s.