Smallmouth blitz Susquehanna River

bulletbob

Smallmouth blitz Susquehanna River

Just insane fishing right now down here..  At times every cast gets a SMB.. I got about 30 in 2 hours, mostly all over 12 inches. All  brutal fighters too , full of piss and vinegar, airborne leaps etc. Also got a fat 20 inch walleye.. The SMB  are so aggressive right now  all you really have to  do is throw a curly tail on a jig head out and let it sit on bottom, and sometimes it gets hit 3 or 4 times without even moving it.. Its this way every November, and then turns off around the 1st week of dec most years, sometimes a little earlier sometimes a little later... You can catch 50 or more in half a day without even moving your boat,, can't spot burn right here, but if interested PM me... You need a small boat, and  if its on a trailer 2 guys to retrieve it as  the river is high and the current fierce... I almost could not get my  14 foot boat trailered tonight, broke the winch strap and all, and as i write this. its out in the driveway sitting on the trailer half ass sideways,, figures the best fishing is right at the WORST ramp on the river.. if you like river  SMB, now is the time... bob

• Like 1

Sounds like a blast Bob, yes the boat on the trailer crooked, looking like a novice boater. Used to fish the Delaware River a lot up in the Dingmans Ferry area can relate to your outtings!!L

It was almost dark, and I had to take my shoes and socks off..Thick black river mud, sucking at my ankles, freezing cold  water, current ripping at the boat..
  Finally was able to hook up the bow eye to the winch strap, had to tie a rope to the transom, and pull the boat against the hard current to where it was almost straight with the trailer, and try to start winching it up  with one hand while holding the  rope on back of the boat in that current with the other... I am 63, and no longer built for that type of crap.. Got it halfway up and the winch strap broke.... The threads all popped that hold the hook on...Newer strap as well.. Probably made in china.. Tied the hook on,and was very luck the boat was up on the trailer enough that it did not go flying into the river..

next time I think I'll take my little 12 foot Jon, and my little 2 HP, and just throw it in the bed of the pickup,, That boat I can just drag up the bank, lift onto the tailgate and slide it in.. The ramp in the hot fishing zone, is primitive to say the least, which is probably why the fishing is good there... bob

LOL! Yea yea, that's exactly the same I drove down between these huge corn fields, there was a little "River Access" there was the first composting toilet there my cousin was working for the park service, that's how I knew where this place was. When I got there I had a hard time finding the "path" to back down and into the river, which I backed against a rock and busted my right hand tail light  my whole rig was in the water also, so wet feet from the get go. But man did I catch fish, nice eyes, and smallies not huge but fun catching, with a bonus eye I was in Heaven, until I went to put the boat on the trailer, one foot front or back was the difference between being to high or to low to get the nose on and the azz end was above the trailer so I just got the front on far enough and pulled foreword enough that I could winch it on the trailer but the boat was almost settling on the fender. I trie to shift it over with a 3" tree I cut off to get the boat in, but I couldn't get it over the rollers on the other side. So I strapped it down across the corner and tilted bad. I'm the first one to to say look at that weekend warriorLOL :lol: That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!! LOL.

Edited by pap