steelie and brown tips

massbass

steelie and brown tips

going up this weekend to oak. i fish mostly beads and will have a few egg flies this weekend, but what are other good baits to use when they arent feeding on eggs?
im sure they will be since the salmon run is ending, and there will be plenty of eggs in the river

Always cover the tip of the hook itself with a waxie or other etc. as it prevents the fish from seeing the hook and orients or focuses them specifically to the bait as well as reducing the hard feel of the hook while "mouthing"

I wouldn't want anything covering the tip of my hook.. the point of bear fishing is because the fish is pointed up stream if they bite the bead and spit it the current blows the hook right into their mouth... I want that point 100% able to catch a fish's mouth that spits my bead

Edited by bandrus1

Not sure about how many "bears" would be caught that way :lol: but what I'm refering to is when watching fish in clear water bump or mouth the bait without actually ingesting it (such as sucking it in directly) they sometimes appear to be "testing" the bait and when the hook point is bare and they feel it they spit it. I've seen it with both browns and rainbows in the streams. When ice fishing perch will do it very frequently

Edited by Sk8man

8 hours ago, Sk8man said:

Not sure about how many "bears" would be caught that way :lol: but what I'm refering to is when watching fish in clear water bump or mouth the bait without actually ingesting it (such as sucking it in directly) they sometimes appear to be "testing" the bait and when the hook point is bare and they feel it they spit it. I've seen it with both browns and rainbows in the streams. When ice fishing perch will do it very frequently

Going back to the point.... when bead fishing fish are not eating the hook the hook is 1.5 or so inches away like I said in my earlier post the fish face up stream. If they mouth your bead and feel it's hard and spit it there is still a good likelihood the current pushes the hook into their mouth.

I mean it's all arbitrary and to each their own but I don't buy they can see the hook. I changed over to larger hooks when using beads be cause my loss after hook up rate was kinda high. I went from 14's to 10's and 8's and have seen my hookup rate actually increase 

Stream fish don't always swim with their mouths open facing the current...sometimes they come across the stream or even downstream to examine a bait. I don't believe there is a way to prove it as far as knowing for sure that the fish is actually seeing the hook but just as an example of the inference watch a sunfish, bluegill perch or even a walleye under the ice some time and closely observe what they do when even a small jig hook point is exposed. They will stop stare at it and circle around it or back up without biting - probably because it looks unnatural to them. Often they will "test" the presentation by bumping it with their nose if they do anything at all. If you are to bait it at the tip of the hook they will usually grab it...this suggests to me that fish dio in fact see the hook point and it looks foreign to them and they become wary of it. If a bait is spinning (as in suspended by a swivel snap) they often will avoid it as well. Fish can be far more cautious and maybe even "smarter" than we give them credit for. I'm not saying this is always the case:) bt something to be aware of as a possibility.

Edited by Sk8man

What pound test do you guys use for brown bears?? I just bought a $$thousand dollar pen reel off eBay. I figured if I use my tree stand safety strap I could snap that to the reel chains, and around a tree close to the river. Then I should be golden:lol: I’m still gonna bring my 458 mag Incase he spools me!! I can’t run like I used to:toivo:

1 hour ago, Sk8man said:

Yeah I guess things have changed with the fish since I started stream fishing in 1955:lol:

Man you know it Les:lol: old saying goes “ain’t like it used to be”:o