Registering a home made trailer

weave

I am working on a trailer to haul my kayak around.  I need to ask a few questions of anyone who has experience with registering a homemade trailer in NYS.  Specifically regarding documentation.  Like most homemade trailers, there is alot of scrap and scavenged parts involved.  I know the DMV requires me to provide receipts for materials that were purchased.  Before I get too far down a hole, I''d like to get some feedback from folks that have done this.  What am I going to need for receipts, and what happens if I don't have what they want to see because it was scavenged and spare materials?

PM is fine for the conversation as well.

It was cheaper and less aggravating to buy a used jet ski trailer and extend the tongue for my square back canoe . This was in PA. They wanted serial numbers off the axel, GVW of axel, pictures,inspection, and $79 for title. I got a used jet ski trailer for $125 it needed tires and $30 for tubing. All said and done I didn’t have more than $200 into it.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I fabricated a snowmobile trailer in Michigan and they only required a weigh slip from a certified scale. I brought a couple receipts that I had, but not all of them. It felt like the DMV was more interested in the license fee than the details.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Regarding homemade trailers - I've registered 2 trailers as homemade.

1st time - Had the trailer weighted empty on a certified scale, and presented most of the receipts (axle, tires, steel frame materials, etc.) to the DMV for their review approval.  They didn't care about what was purchased, only that the sales tax was paid on materials I used.  Quick and easy process and was out the door ~ 20 minutes.

2nd time - Same process, same DMV office, a few less receipts - Got into a disagreement with the DMV clerk because she didn't feel I had enough receipts to justify the trailer's existence.   I ended up leaving that DMV office, went to another DMV office in a neighboring county with the same paperwork and was out the door again ~ 20 minutes.

IMHO it's not about what materials you used to build the trailer, it's about NYS getting the biggest cut of sales tax they can.

From the DMV website - https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/sales-tax-information

Sales tax information

Proof of sales tax payment or sales tax exemption, or purchase price

When you register a vehicle in New York (at a DMV office), you must either

• pay the sales tax
  • prove that sales tax was paid
  • prove your vehicle registration is exempt from sales tax

You probably also will need to pay county use tax when you register. See estimate registration fees and taxes for information about county use taxes.

You must get a sales tax receipt from the DMV even if the transaction is exempt from sales tax.

7 hours ago, JJBat150 said:

Regarding homemade trailers - I've registered 2 trailers as homemade.

1st time - Had the trailer weighted empty on a certified scale, and presented most of the receipts (axle, tires, steel frame materials, etc.) to the DMV for their review approval.  They didn't care about what was purchased, only that the sales tax was paid on materials I used.  Quick and easy process and was out the door ~ 20 minutes.

2nd time - Same process, same DMV office, a few less receipts - Got into a disagreement with the DMV clerk because she didn't feel I had enough receipts to justify the trailer's existence.   I ended up leaving that DMV office, went to another DMV office in a neighboring county with the same paperwork and was out the door again ~ 20 minutes.

IMHO it's not about what materials you used to build the trailer, it's about NYS getting the biggest cut of sales tax they can.

From the DMV website - https://dmv.ny.gov/registration/sales-tax-information

Thanks for the detail.  Do you happen to recall what receipts the first office wanted to see that you didn't have?