Maiden New York Voyage at I-Bay

Ok I finally bought a car. A gelopi for $500, but it runs. I planned on fishin this morning. Woke up at 5 mpoured a bowl of cereal look out the window and it's pouring! Went back to bed... It cleared up around two so I decided to go to Irodequoit Bay for a little PM session.

I set out in search of bass, pike, and walleye. Launched along the south-west side of the bay and headed north.

I worked these shallows lookin for pike and bass, but nothin hit my lures. Smelled something that reminded me of the breakwall in Marina Del Rey and looked to see a ****load of commorants in these trees. They even stained the trees.

100_1922.jpg

Found some deeper water and worked the dropoffs for walleye or smallmouths. No good.

Much of the shorline has beautiful houses with docks. I decided to work some of these. To my suprise the water dropped off really quick around the docks. I worked this area and caught many panfish, but nothing that I was looking for. Then, I hook something that feels like a bluegill for a few seconds then takes off! I thought it was either a bass or walleye. After a few exciting minutes I bring up this sheephead.

100_1912.jpg

100_1913.jpg

100_1909.jpg

I noticed a lot of bait in the water. Saw a few boils, but nothin hit my lures. I need to get some lights so I can fish at night.

Paddled and fished a lot more working all different kinds of waters but only caught a few more bluegill and white perch. Made it back just before dark but perfect time for some big ass mosquitoes to get me. Kinda weird putting my yak on top of a car, but no more truck...

Goin fishin at Black Creek on Sunday with the only other kayak fisherman that I know around. Will let you know if I catch anything.

Til next time,

Phil

Sweet! Glad to see you got out and landed a few fish! That Commorant Island is nasty, isn't it? Thats a great bass localle tho. Sounds like you were in all the right spots. Only other place I'd suggest is across the bay on the east side just south of the bridge. The point there always does me well, and it goes back into Helds Cove, which is filled with bass.