gps hook up

Schools Out

So I have been using my garmin hand held for a while and am getting sick of changing batteries every two trips. I found a power cord that hooks up to a 12v cigarette lighter adapter. What would be the best way to hook this up. I have a 5 amp accessory fuse in my dash that I already mounted my marine radio on. Should I cut off the cigarette lighter adapter and wire it into that? (will the fuse handle my radio and gps) should I wire it on the battery side of that fuse and put another inline fuse in? should I instal a cigarette lighter port? (will it rust) and (what side of the existing fuse)? Any advise would be helpful, thanks!

I would put a cigarette lighter port in and wire it separate from any other accessories... fuse it on the positive side and attach the pos wire to a bar in the console for positive terminals ( there is usually one in the console or battery storage area on most boats) ground the neg wire to the common bar where all the other commons go, and you should have no interference from other electronics.

this way you can keep the plug in on your cigarette lighter cord for the Garmin and you can use it in your car or any place that has a plugin for it. Also the lighter socket in the boat is usefull for handheld spot lights or plugging your cell phone in... and best of all you can get an inverter that will plug in to the socket and charge things like a battery for your digital camera off the 110 volt conversion. Make sure it has a cover or plastic plug so water cant get in it and corode the contacts when not in use.

• 2 weeks later...