Alternative weights

Fishnet

So without really knowing what the name of it was, I was running a Seth Green Rig on keuka last week. I was advised to run a three pound weight under a 2 liter bottle for a float. 3 pound lead weights are pricey and hard to find. I’m looking for ideas ( proven to work only please) about alternate weights.

Im thinking gravel filled plastic bottle? Probably spin like a top?

PVC pipe filled, with an eyelit 1/3 back so I will act like it’s own rudder?

You see I am looking for cheap and easy! Any inputs will be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think you may have misinterpreted the comment about the bottle float:). The 3 lb weight goes at the bottom of your main and rig lines line with your individual (max of five) leaders and lures at intervals above it from bead chains swivels or barrel swivels and the bottle float (or "jug") at the very top of the main line  so that it suspends the entire rig from the surface as it is trolled through the water with these lures running at set intervals on the "rig line" attached to the main line (usually SS wire or braid)

Edited by Sk8man

You described my set up to a tee. This was before I read the thread I just brought up that named it the Seth Green Rig!
I bought my rods and reels used and already setup. I did replace the old 30 pound mono main line. Made up 10 foot and 12 pound floro leaders. TIP. As instructed, used a clear 2 liter bottle, spray paint inside orange ( would have enjoyed emptying an orange crush bottle) as a float.
I’ll confess, I hooked first leader to bottom of bead swivel rather than top, spun until entire 10 feet of leader wound tight around main line. Should have asked the seller about that part while I had chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

So it is starting to look like I’ll be ‘investing’ a little over a hundred dollars in molds and melting. I found a local recycler selling lead.
Of all the gear being sold on here I’m shocked at the lack of weights.

Fishnet - The best solution would be to order some 40 ounce weights from Harvey Oharra (Troutman87) here on LOU. They work great and his prices are the best around.

Edited by Sk8man

I made up some alternative weights with 1” D x 12” L solid steel pipe. Painted them black and added orange stripes. I use them to scratch bottom for lake trout. (X2 on Harvey’s weights and down-rigger torpedos....he’s the best).

I made up some alternative weights with 1” D x 12” L solid steel pipe. Painted them black and added orange stripes. I use them to scratch bottom for lake trout. (X2 on Harvey’s weights and down-rigger torpedos....he’s the best).

Thanks. There’s the kind of info I’m looking for. Work them straight under the boat or float them out the back?
Eyelet or hole in pipe?
I’ve been using a quart bottle of gravel floated under two liter bobber.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You are welcome. I drilled a hole near one end and chamfered each side. Making sure there are no burrs is key. In my application, I tie with a few loops of mono because I want the weight to break off if I hit an obstruction, which has actually never happened, and in your case you might want something more permanent like coated wire or run some type of ring through it for an attachment point.