Thinking ahead to spring

I'm going to be looking for a kicker motor in the spring. I had picked up a motor last year from a guy the I rent a cabin from and it ended up being pretty crappy. So I ended up having to use the big motor. We did pretty good with it. I have a '95 18' spectrum Sport. It runs good but just don't like low rpms. We are looking to spend about $800. First of all will I be able to pick up something that runs good at that price ? Second would I be better of with a short shaft or long ? Don't really have a preference in a 2 or 4 stroke at this point. Just want it to make it easier trolling. At some point I would like to upgrade to a nice 4 stroke. Thanks for any help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You should be able to pick up a very decent 2 stroke 9.9 for $500 . A good 4 stroke will be hard to find for $800.

If I remember correctly, your boat has a 20 inch transom so you should look for a long shaft.You may need a kicker bracket,but if you can fit the outboard in the splash well next to the main engine you will not need a kicker bracket or an EZ steer setup. You will need a remote control box and cables for shift and accelerator. My suggestion would be an 80s or 90s Johnson/Evinrude kicker. Those things are hard to beat.

A  2 stroke 9.9 merc on my 22ft Starcraft proved to be a little too fast because it wasn’t running in the power band at trolling speed. The worst part of it was that when the wind was behind us it pushed fumes over the transom and made us nauseous. A longer shaft is seldom a wrong thing but you may find it unnecessary. And if you fish rockpiles it could prove to be a disadvantage. Keep in mind that if you opt for the newer power props you will need  comparatively more horsepower than traditional props. It would be nice if you could borrow a motor for a day to be sure you get a good fit

You could pick up a couple of Amish trolling bags? If your main motor doesn’t like low rpm,s I’d recommend 25 “ bags. Then you could run higher rpm on your main motor. Just a thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United