Transducer combo question - networking

Netbender

Good Day, working through the transducer maze of options. Final confirmation is a fishawk x4, Lowrance HD’s gen 3 and Lowrance AP for cable driven outboards. Anyway to get away with a single transducer? Networking?

Appreciate any guidance.

Dave

Here's to bending your net! [emoji481]

Airmar TM-150 That's a real CHIRP and affordable. You may be able to get some better transducer but you will have to pat $1000+ only for the ducer. The TM-150 is a very nice upgrade on Chirp he is "scanning" from 95 to 155khz and you can also use it on a fix frequencie in the range of 95 to 155. The fishawk run on a fix frequencie of 70Khz so no interference between the 2.

• 2 weeks later...

Wallyandre, in your opinion, is the 150 a better fit with the HDS-3 the the total scan transducer that comes with one of the packages? I believe, I would get some side scan capabilities from the package (TotalScan). The 150 is 2D improved Chirp. only, correct? Thanks for your feedback.

Dave

It's 2 differents things. Do you want downscan and sidescan? 

With the Totalscan you can use it in CHIRP but not as good as a real chirp ducer. So it's for you to decide if you want down and sidescan; if you really want down and side you can get a LSS-2 transducer. This transducer is dedicated to down and sidescan only and if you go that way you can use the TM-150 in the same unit.  

In what way is the totalscan chirp inferior to that of the airmar 150? I would think mostly in durability, but that's just a guess.

My boat came with a Lowrance Lcx113chd with an airmar 66 with speed and temp. I connected an HDS 9 to it VIA ethernet and N2K, and they seem to be working flawlessly together. The airmar is connected to the LCX and I am in the process of installing the totalscan to connect to the HDS unit. I will be installing another HDS at the back of the boat as well.

I do find use for sidescan in shallow water at times, and downscan is nice to get a detailed view of wrecks or shallow water structure too. I've even used sidescan to catch fish under debris trapped in a slick. I'm thinking I will be happy with the airmar66/totalscan combo for what I do.

All depends on your style of fishing. Is the HDS9 a Gen2 or a 3

P66 is a excellent transducer 

A real CHIRP ducer emit multiple frequency

From Airmar doc: 

CHIRP vs NON-CHIRP Fishfinders • Non-CHIRP fishfinders operate at discrete frequencies of 50kHz and 200kHz • Transmit pulse is only at a discrete frequency • Typical Non-CHIRP fishfinders operate with a maximum duty cycle of 1% - meaning they transmit a voltage to the transducer no more than 1% of the time • Consequently the transmit pulse can be high power but very short duration, limiting the total energy that is transmitted into the water column

From Airmar:

CHIRP sounders use a precise sweep pattern of many frequencies (28kHz – 210kHz) within a long-duration transmit pulse, sent to a CHIRP transducer. • The equivalent sound energy transmitted into the water is 10 to 1,000 times greater than a conventional marine fishfinder. Resulting in more energy on target. • Results are 5x greater resolution and depth capability than current fishfinders due to the advanced signal processing of the return echo! • Key to the signal processing is knowing what they CHIRP signal looked like. “Pattern Matching”

Wow some awesome info going on here!!  Wallyandre, knows more than any Lowrance Rep. I ever talked to!! Thanks!!! For your time and info. :yes:

Edited by pap

Very good, after all the feedback, thinking Lowrance hds gen 3 , with a chirp transducer. I mostly troll, I am sure if I added the side scan, down scan, I would find myself looking more at the electronics then fishing! Will also have a fishhawk speed transducer mounted close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Anyone have any experience with/or is there available a chirp transom mount transducer between the entry level 150 and the 185c that works well with the Lowarnce gen 3's? Is the 150 with 300w enough? The 185HW has a 25 degree cone with 1wK power. But is very expensive. 

Edited by superhawk18

8 hours ago, wallyandre said:

If you intent to run the P66 and the Totalscan together you will need to run the totalscan in 83khz because of some possible interference between the 200 from the P66 and the 200 from the totalscan

What about the 2018 new hook units with the transducer they come with, wider cone with down scan and side scan. I’m not interested in side scan. I fish walleye and occasionally go for lakers to keep the kids occupied!! What’s your take on those units with the factory ducers. Thanks for any info PAP.

From waht I know from Lowrance testers those low price unit are very impressive for the cost. You can get a single frequency 40deg on a 200khz, a what they name Splitshot (2D-CHIRP and downscan) and triplshot: down-side scan-2D and CHIRP.. They are suppose to be ship by mid-december (soon) but count more in January.

https://www.lowrance.com/lowrance/series/hook2/

On 12/6/2017 at 6:52 AM, wallyandre said:

If you intent to run the P66 and the Totalscan together you will need to run the totalscan in 83khz because of some possible interference between the 200 from the P66 and the 200 from the totalscan

Couldn't I also run the P66 in 50khz on my LCX to save interference? This is all new to me as I have always just intalled the ducer that came with my unit and ran. Now I am trying to figure out how to make 2 seperate ducers work together, while trying to merry an LCX with an HDS system, lol.

You can run a LSS-2 and a regular ducer with your Gen-3. The LSS is plug in the black connecor in the back and the P66 in the blue or red transducer plug in back. With a HDS Carbon you can run 2 differents tranducers at the same time because the Carbon got 2 channels (2 processors) 

Do you want to run the LCX (P66) at the same time you will run the HDS with the Total scan)? Not sure what you want to do.

9 hours ago, wallyandre said:

You can run a LSS-2 and a regular ducer with your Gen-3. The LSS is plug in the black connecor in the back and the P66 in the blue or red transducer plug in back. With a HDS Carbon you can run 2 differents tranducers at the same time because the Carbon got 2 channels (2 processors) 

Do you want to run the LCX (P66) at the same time you will run the HDS with the Total scan)? Not sure what you want to do.

The LCX came with my boat and is in really good shape. The P66 is a good ducer that reads bottom at speed, so I was trying to use it any way I can. I thought I may be able to keep the LCX with the 66 connected to it on the dash for cruising, then use the 2 HDS 9 units with the totalscan connected to the unit at the rail for fishing and searching for fish. All 3 units will be connected VIA ethernet and N2K. 

Now I am considering adding an epoxied thru hull in the bilge that will help maximize my CHIRP capabilities, and keeping the P66 on there for redundancy (which I believe to be a good thing with transducers) and because it has speed and temp. Is there a TM150 equivalent in a thru hull that isn't a drill-through? 

The only shoot-true CHIRP transducer (that I know) is the P155-M

P155C-M..$210...
Mix and match connector.

• Depth
• Optional fast response
water- temperature sensor
• Hull Type:
Solid Fiberglass
• Plastic Housing
• Ideal for freshwater fishing in shallow to
medium depths
• No hull protrusions
• Hull Deadrise:
0° to 10° recommended
• Includes Transducer ID®

New “puck” style in-hull, wideband transducer
for bass and walleye boats. Whether you
are fishing in freshwater or saltwater, this
transducer is designed to transmit through
fiberglass and aluminum boat hulls. The
new P155M operates at 95-155 kHz and is
CHIRP-ready! The in-hull is the solution to
common issues experienced with transom
and trolling motor mount transducers. No
more concerns with broken parts or damaging
the transducer from sandbars or rocks!
300 W – Broadband
• CHIRP-ready across the following
frequency band:
— Medium-Frequency: 95-155 kHz
• 26° & 17° Beamwidth
• Depth Range: 122 m to 152 m
(400’ to 500’)

Recommended Adhesive:
3M® Marine Adhesive Sealant 4200

This leads me back to my original question, but with a new twist. Has anyone utilized a through hull transducer, aluminum boat, for an x4 fish hawk (70 kHz)?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

After a bit more research, it looks like the P95C-M-BL would be the right ducer for my Grady, which has a 20 degree deadrise at the transom, and is solid fiberglass hull. Anyone with experience with this in-hull ducer connected to a gen 3 HDS? Is it the 7 pin, or 9 pin that I would connect to for CHIRP?

Sorry Superhawk18, I have never heard of anyone using a thru-hull with a Fish Hawk. What transducer were you hoping to do this with?

Edited by Tyee II
  • Like 1

Same frequency then the TM-150. The BL if I'm right mean blue connector (Lowrance) and it's a 7 pins. The difference between the 7 andthe 9 is the 9 is a Xsonic transducer. The document that I'm looking maybe not up-to date and maybe the newer model come with the Xsonic functionnality. I will look at it