Best planer board rod and reel combos?

Roys Boys

I would have to there are so many options out there, I would go with what you feel comfortable spending, the price range your in might only buy you 1/2 a pole and 1/4 of a reel to some and others would have enough left over to fill their truck. Also what specie are you going after means a lot also, so let’s start there, then maybe others will chime in!! 

I don’t fish the fingers but I think 6-10# eyes would fall in the same criteria? I use the Okuma classic poles and I like Diawia in the 27 series, they fit a pile of 30# PP with 50ft Seagar Fluor in the red box as a leader. I use this same set up for early browns and from there they are my go to set ups for in lines. Hope this helps ya:yes: so yer at $27-39 for rods and I think new the reels are $109. I really like their drags, but I will say there isn’t 1 reel that is more than 2-4 years old and I have a few:rofl:that Tuna Tom hasn’t gone over which makes one hell of a difference!! He is worth every penny,!!

Edited by pap

I've been running the FishUSA in-line planer rod for about a month now, and it's a great rod. Everyone is impressed with it when they fish it on my boat. I understand it was in testing with a few top Walleye guys for a while until it was perfected.

It's the 8'6" Telescopic model - https://www.fishusa.com/product/FishUSA-Trolling-Rods

As for reels.....I've always been a Daiwa guy. Sealine or Saltist can't be beat in my opinion.

Edited by Yankee Troller

Yes I 100% agree with rick and I have a few of the collapsible rod in the 8’6” range and was thinking about getting 4 of the longer one either in the 9-10’ length. They have 2 different price ranges.

For Lake Erie walleyes just add 100 yards of 12 to 20 pound test flourocarbon leaders to your reels. Rubber band or snap weights will get you down deep enough whether you are using worm harnesses , spoons or stickbaits. Losing your planer board is expensive and difficult to retrieve if your line breaks though so set your drags and do not jerk your pole to set the hooks. The fish will hook themselves with the drag from the line and boards.I use  20# line and it fishes well and has the security of not breaking off.

• 2 weeks later...

I like my medium action 7ft ugly sticks cal 1101 model I believe but I believe they stopped making that model. We fish  church t22 boards with segment cores on Erie over 50 times a year. Nice thing about using a 7 ft rod is releasing the board from line upon retrieve. Most of the time the guy with rod never does anything different to help remove the board. I did go to fish USA and handled there in line board Rods and liked how they felt. They had a nice soft tip so I'm sure they work great also. 

Sounds like the fish usa rods are the way to go.. thanks for the info I got a new boat and I'm trying to get ready for the spring! Any reel ratio better than the others? I thought I seen 4.1.1 and 6.1.1 for the diawa reels?