Muzzleloader question

So I just picked up a CVA optima v2 from the local shop for a great price. Wondering if anybody has this gun and what their load/bullet preference is. I’d like to get it sighted in for the late season, but will be bowhunting if I can’t get it shooting nice groups at 100. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. Thanks!

I have the Accura and I shoot the Hornaday FTX 45 caliber bullets in MMP sabots and blackhorn powder. My buddy shoots the same loads out of his optima v2 and has great luck with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Tried with 100grns of 777 and a 250 TC shockwave today. For some reason I was experiencing hangfires after the second shot even after cleaning the breech hole out. Was trying to get the open sights dialed in but the shots were all over, back to the drawing board tomorrow. A local Wallyworld is out of black powder stuffs so I’ll have to make a trip back to field of dreams.

Might want to get the 777 primers.... they are not as hot as the regular 209's... and they reduce the build up of unburned powder with the hotter 209's at the base of your breech plug.... just wet patch then twist your ramrod at the breechplug... then prolly a cpl dry patches.... I use a tc omega for the past 13 years and have yet to experience a hang fire

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don’t even remember to be honest, they are old, my dad has some CCIs I will yoink. Field of dreams didn’t have Except for their 209 shotgun primers in the reloading section 
I use the cci and haven't had an issue knock on wood. I'm assuming that's got to be where your issue is. I can shoot mine as many times as I want and it will not hang fire. Accuracy sucks after 5 shots and the sabot becomes hard to load but it will still go bang. Good luck keep us posted on how you make out

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Muzzy's can be a royal pain in the ars. There's a bunch of factors that can effect shooting and accuracy. They best thing to do is start with all NEW caps, powder and sabots. Try and shoot 2 each round then swab the barrel with a wet patch (breech out) and then make sure it's dry with a dry patch.

I learned this the hard way. I spent hundreds on all combos of powder and sabots and only had accuracy out to about 70 yrds, even bought a new scope and rings. I had fliers at 100 and couldn't group. Ended up missing a few good deer too. I heard time after time a magnum charge was a waste as all the powder isn't burned off, yet I met a guy who thought I was nuts for not using 3 pellets. I dialed in at 50 w/3 and long story short I'm grouping at 200 now.... Even shot a nice buck last year at 150. I can also shoot a few different sabots and maintain accuracy. These guns are finiky, and also really really fun to clean.... I think you will be ok and I hope you don't have to experiment like I did. It's costly.

29 minutes ago, NymphO said:

Muzzy's can be a royal pain in the ars. There's a bunch of factors that can effect shooting and accuracy. They best thing to do is start with all NEW caps, powder and sabots. Try and shoot 2 each round then swab the barrel with a wet patch (breech out) and then make sure it's dry with a dry patch.

I learned this the hard way. I spent hundreds on all combos of powder and sabots and only had accuracy out to about 70 yrds, even bought a new scope and rings. I had fliers at 100 and couldn't group. Ended up missing a few good deer too. I heard time after time a magnum charge was a waste as all the powder isn't burned off, yet I met a guy who thought I was nuts for not using 3 pellets. I dialed in at 50 w/3 and long story short I'm grouping at 200 now.... Even shot a nice buck last year at 150. I can also shoot a few different sabots and maintain accuracy. These guns are finiky, and also really really fun to clean.... I think you will be ok and I hope you don't have to experiment like I did. It's costly.

Several years ago I bought a used ML off a friend and had the same issues you mentioned. Couldn't get groups to save my life. Got impatient and sold that gun. Well, I got interested again and bought this gun hoping I would have better results. Gonna play with it today after work and see what I can do. All is not lost, if I do not get it dialed in I will hunt either with the bow or my dad's TC that is dead nuts.

• Like 1

i have a TC omega i bought for the starter in line and i still using it . when i first starting shooting the gun i couldn't get no better than a 3 inch group . i was loading the gun with 100 grains of pyrodex and powerbelts cci 209 primers . i switch to 100 grains of triple 7 and hornagy sabots with the xtp bullets . the group got better but not where i wanted it to be . then for some reason i loaded it to max load 150 grains of triple 7 same round the gun became a tack driver . for years now that is what i load 150 grins of triple 7 and 250 gr hornady sst cci 209 primer . i like it so much that i hunt with gun all gun season . 

for hang fires i never had one . this is how i load the gun after a wet patch dry patch i use a bore butter patch with no breach plug in . clean breach plug so i can see light threw it . put some breach plug anti seize on it install . then a 150 grains of triple 7 and then put a little bore butter on the sst sabot . then seat the round not to crush the pellets .... 

Edited by fisherdude

i have a TC omega i bought for the starter in line and i still using it . when i first starting shooting the gun i couldn't get no better than a 3 inch group . i was loading the gun with 100 grains of pyrodex and powerbelts cci 209 primers . i switch to 100 grains of triple 7 and hornagy sabots with the xtp bullets . the group got better but not where i wanted it to be . then for some reason i loaded it to max load 150 grains of triple 7 same round the gun became a tack driver . for years now that is what i load 150 grins of triple 7 and 250 gr hornady sst cci 209 primer . i like it so much that i hunt with gun all gun season . 

for hang fires i never had one . this is how i load the gun after a wet patch dry patch i use a bore butter patch with no breach plug in . clean breach plug so i can see light threw it . put some breach plug anti seize on it install . then a 150 grains of triple 7 and then put a little bore butter on the sst sabot . then seat the round not to crush the pellets .... 

Exact gun, exact issues, exact load, exact outcome....