Muzzleloader question

Thank you to everybody who took the time to relpy, I love the hunting section of this forum! Was able to sight in at 60 yards in my side yard after work after a getting the scope mounted. Dead center shot was the last one I took after adjusting, I’ll take it. I think I’ll like this gun. Hang fires were no issue today, switched to cci primers and “popping a cap” after swabbing. 100 grains of 777 pellets, and a 250 TC shockwave. The weather is shaping up nicely and working 6-2:30 doesn’t hurt :):yes:

F59277B1-A406-4A18-94EB-280E5EFA3329.jpeg

• Like 2

I never shot a ML until a few years ago.  I still have never fired at an animal.  I tried something new last night and was making excellent progress but ran out of light before I got the thing sighted into a couple hundred yards.  A couple of years ago I had no faith in a 20 yard shot.  I have been learning slowly.  I discovered back then that the jag was wrong and was messing up the plastic tip.  Last year I was out to 100 yards and feeling pretty good but not totally confident.  I was told go with powder - I could not find buckhorn anywhere, so I do not remember where I heard this but I picked up a package of these Hornady  SST-ML speed sabots.  These have a stem that slides down into the pellets (3).  I suppose you could trim them for 2 but I didn't want to change anything.  The idea is to keep all off the pellets aligned for better accuracy as well it reduces the likely hood of them being crushed while loading.  Anyways, I was very happy shooting my ML last night until the wind changed directions and about killed me.  An idea for those of you still struggling to find a combination.  I had heard just about everything regarding advice - Muzzle loaders are similar to women... They all have their (fill in here).

Another question for you more experienced ML guys: Between hunts if you have not fired a shot, how do you store the gun? Do you just take the primer out and leave the powder and bullet in, or do you completely unload?

If you bring the gun inside unload it. The change in temps and humidity creates condensation on the inside of the barrel getting your pellets or powder wet. If it stays outside you can get away with it but it's a good idea to drop the breech and unload it after each hunt only takes a few seconds and after unloading and bringing up to inside temp run a swab or paper towel thru. Dry dry dry.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I just take the primer out and keep the gun in my unheated garage.  With blackhorn powder there's no reason to unload as it goes boom just the same after being loaded for 10 days as it does after being loaded for 10 minutes.  I've tried this for 2 years in a row as a test because I always thought I might have to unload an recharge during the season but not a problem.  

I keep powder and bullet in and when ever it's loaded I have a balloon over the barrel also. On protects from water or debris getting into it. As said above don't take it in and out of the house that's just asking for issues I leave mine in my garage and truck for season.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Would removing just the powder and primer be fine if I bring the gun inside, then just load the powder back in through the breech end? (can't have a gun in the vehicle where I work)
Personally I wouldnt....the accuracy and safety (as far as I know) is dependant on the powder and bullet seating the same every time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I only use mine for the short 10day season. I go from field to unheated garage, to basement by furnace. This basically is a day process where I try to keep the temp change controlled. If it's a day or two in between or I hunted in heavy snow or rain, for the cost of powder I will unload and change to fresh. I keep the unused for practice sessions before season and I've never had a missfire. I have a friend that leaves his loaded until he shoots, sometimes all year. He has had MULTIPLE misfires. I'd say play it safe. That buck of a lifetime comes out and gives you a shot, you DO NOT want to hear...."pop".

• Like 2

23 hours ago, dawsonscreek said:

Another question for you more experienced ML guys: Between hunts if you have not fired a shot, how do you store the gun? Do you just take the primer out and leave the powder and bullet in, or do you completely unload?

A few days prior to the season I put my gun in my garage. I load my gun before I enter the woods for the first time and it stays loaded for the year. Once its loaded it does not come inside the house.At the end of each hunt I pull the primer out. It spends its loaded time in my truck or in my garage. No major worries about drastic temp changes and condensation. At the end of the year, I pull the breach and unload it that way. 

2 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

If you shoot Blackhorn 209 powder, It is not affected by temp change of humidity.  This is right from their site.  This is one of the reasons I went with Blackhorn.  http://www.blackhorn209.com/specs/advantages/

Probably will be switching to Blackhorn for next year, want to work on distance and grouping this spring and then will hunt with it all during gun season next year. 

36 minutes ago, dawsonscreek said:

Probably will be switching to Blackhorn for next year, want to work on distance and grouping this spring and then will hunt with it all during gun season next year. 

Some guns you will need to buy a different breech plug to shoot this powder.  I have a CVA Accura V2 and purchased the Blackhorn breech plug.  My buddy shot it through the same gun and was getting hang fires. 

I'm sure by now you have it figured out, but my remington genesis shoots almost one hole groups with the hornady hollowpoints/sabots, and also the powerbelts. I use the magnum 777. two pellets. I use the 777 primers.  When I am out of the magnum pellets I will go to the standard ones because with two magnum pellets, the ramrod is flush with muzzle, even when loaded.  I believe the sabots type bullets help in some cases, for accuracy. But the powerbelts are full bore and shoot just as good in mine. I would definitely try those two, if you are still searching.