Leadcore line

chugbug

Hey guys I'm new to lead core line and thinking about setting up a couple rigs , what size reel do I need to hold 10 colors , I like smaller reels when possible but with backer leadcore and leader is a diawa 47 big enough I have quite a few 27's but i dont think they will work .

47 size reel too small for 10 color.  Also a high speed reel makes a big difference as well.  I use Saltist 50LC's with Tuffline Microlead and have been happy with that combo.  The Daiwa Seagate series would give high speed and capacity.  Reel with 330 to 350 yd 30lb capacity will handle it.  I ran Penn 330's for years on 10 colors and only downside was the low retrieve ratio.  I like a linecounter to repeat setback but counting passes on a non linecounter gets you close.

Use braid for backing-mono takes up too much room and has stretch problem.  Braid costs a bit more, but lasts longer.  I have quite a few SG57LC3 - paid around $100 or less for them on sale.  Seagate are close to that.  IMO the place to put your money is in the reel- you can use a lower price rod for leadcore.  The more expensive reels have better drags and more ball bearings.  Smooth drags are critical especially if you fish Lake Ontario.  Good reels last for years.

The 18 pound test will fit on a 57 ,but the line counter will be next to useless. because of the thickness of the leadcore. 300 feet of leadcore will make the linecounter show a very different number. Still numbers are only numbers and if you know the real amount of line is 200 feet while the counter says 250  you can just  use the number 250 for 200 feet.

Edited by rolmops

ok, great information thanks , I'm also trying to match up a 8'6'' trolling rod for this reel for walleye and leadcore, I've heard stainless steel guides are best for leadcore , was going to go with cabelas depthmasters but afraid there just to cheap and fail just when I need them . what would be a good rod not to stiff but not to light weight either on the cheaper side .

Edited by chugbug

I have a brandnew never used Okuma Magda Pro45 DX. I did not want to put 19strand wire line on it and bought Convectors instead. I' be willing to sell the Magda for $50

Edited by rolmops

You can fit 200 yds of 30 lb braid, 10 colors of 18 lb leadcore and a 20 ft 20 lb test fluoro leader on one of the  Okuma MA30DXT's and it fills it. Put it on an Okuma Classic Pro rod and it will work for either salmon, trout or walleyes (although it would be light for summer kings on Lake O). Just change out the leader for either and the braid is strong enough for inline planer boards.. Even though I'm a Diawa guy I have a few Okuma setups:lol:

Edited by Sk8man

tuff choice , I would rather a smaller reel like the ma30dxt if it will hold the leadcore and sk8man says it will so the big difference is the retrieve ratio and im not sure how important that is. Is it a decent reel will it hold up its mainly for walleye , have you guys used them for big lake salmon .

I use them and walleye is my passion, they work just fine. Almost every reel I own came second hand other than a few Okuma’s I bought new in the box at used prices. If they don’t meet my expectations I send them to Tuna Tom and he tunes them up with new drag washers and what ever it takes. Those reels when they come back are like brand new, and I’m still ahead of the price of the new ones:yes: :yes:

chugbug - I've used the setup on Lake O and it worked for kings and steelies. It doesn't have the higher gear ratio like my 57 Diawa's but I didn't find that to be a problem. The drag works OK but the clicker is relatively quiet compared to some of my other reels. I should also mention that I used 30 lb MUSTAD braid rather than Power Pro etc. because it came in a 200 yd spool and for inline board use (and walleye fishing) I wanted more than the 150 yds. It does completely fill the spool of the reel which is good for the line counter accuracy. For the price I feel that the reel and the Classic Pro rod combination is a pretty good solution for eyes with a light leader (e.g. 8-12 lb depending on where fishing). The rod is stiff enough for using the boards while having a fairly sensitive tip which is fine for all but the very lighest walleye bites perhaps.

Okumaleadcorereel.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Found a combo deal if anyone is looking # CPDR 862m 30dxt for around 70.00 its a med. rod 10-25 lbs with the 30dxt reel , does anyone have this rod ,is this the right weight for leadcore mainly for walleye on oneida lake .

Edited by chugbug

17 hours ago, Chowdaire said:

20% off all rods and reels at FishUSA today. Plus buy 3 get one free on lures.

I'm out of dry powder at this point, after the rest of their specials this month, but you could put together some nice deals today.

Thanks for that heads up. I called them and they gave me the 20% on a back ordered convector.