Garmin TR1 Gold

dgfidler

Look at me creating duplicate and partial posts.

Anyway, I am switching over from using a trolling motor in conjunction with my kicker to using just a kicker with TR1.  I made this switch for two reasons: 1) My trolling motor really could only steer my boat with the wind at our backs unless it was REALLY calm and 2) We always had to find a camp site with electric service to recharge batteries if we planned to fish two days in a row.

My kicker is a 2008 Yamaha F15 which puts out 6.5 amps at 1000 RPM and 10 amps at 3000 rpm.  I will run the TR1 off the battery hooked to the kicker.  My question is this:  Do I need to worry about that battery going dead on a long day on the water or will a charge between 6.5 and 10 amps keep me going all day?

Thank you. I've found that you really have to 'pick your days' when operating a small boat on the Great Lakes, so I'll decide to embark on a weekend fishing trip only when conditions are ideal. By the time I decide to go, I can usually only find non electric campsites. When I had to rely on a trolling motor for autopilot, I'd have no way to recharge. You confirmed I should be able to fish a couple days without having to recharge batteries. I hope this TR1 works out as well as I think it will. I couldn't find a single negative comment from anyone that actually owns one

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Worse case scenario, you could always purchase a small generator like a 1000 watt one. They are handy when camping can run lights and electronics ect. We have one I used to use on my boat for fishing all night to keep batteries up while trolling with a older 2 stroke kicker. Just a thought.

Edited by pap

Worse case scenario, you could always purchase a small generator like a 1000 amp one.

[emoji15]
I think you meant to write watt not amp. A 1k amp generator would be about the size of a small locomotive.[emoji16]

3 hours ago, John E Powell said:

emoji15.png
I think you meant to write watt not amp. A 1k amp generator would be about the size of a small locomotive.emoji16.png

A Yea that would take a 454 Chevy if that would spin it:lol: thanks for pointing that out!!!

Edited by pap

• 2 weeks later...

Your gonna love the tr-1 gold especially fishing solo. I have one on my 06’ yamaha 15hp 4 stroke and I’ll put one one every boat I own. It functions great, pretty easy to install and calibrate yourself. I go pretty far offshore though as up in the Henderson area it’s a haul to get to the fish but on 2 different boats I’ve had, never had issues with a dead battery unless I left my lights on or some dumb thing.

Yeah, I can't wait to use the TR1 this spring. I've been using a bow mount for my autopilot and I'm tired of worrying about keeping the trolling motor batteries charged. Now, I'll only use the TM for inland fishing which is infrequent.

• 1 month later...
Look at me creating duplicate and partial posts.

Anyway, I am switching over from using a trolling motor in conjunction with my kicker to using just a kicker with TR1.  I made this switch for two reasons: 1) My trolling motor really could only steer my boat with the wind at our backs unless it was REALLY calm and 2) We always had to find a camp site with electric service to recharge batteries if we planned to fish two days in a row.

My kicker is a 2008 Yamaha F15 which puts out 6.5 amps at 1000 RPM and 10 amps at 3000 rpm.  I will run the TR1 off the battery hooked to the kicker.  My question is this:  Do I need to worry about that battery going dead on a long day on the water or will a charge between 6.5 and 10 amps keep me going all day?

I have a 7.5 honda with a tr1 and i run everthing and my licker keeps it charged you wont ever want to fish with out it again

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I wanted to follow up on this. The TR1 is installed and will really make our trolling more efficient this year. I used a group 24 battery that showed as 60 percent charged. I trolled for two hours with the TR1 and and F15 connected. I rechecked the charge percentage when I got home. The battery showed as 100% charged meaning the F15 was able to take the battery from 60% to 100% charge while the TR1 was operating. I’m all set now!

On 4/10/2018 at 5:44 PM, dgfidler said:

I wanted to follow up on this. The TR1 is installed and will really make our trolling more efficient this year. I used a group 24 battery that showed as 60 percent charged. I trolled for two hours with the TR1 and and F15 connected. I rechecked the charge percentage when I got home. The battery showed as 100% charged meaning the F15 was able to take the battery from 60% to 100% charge while the TR1 was operating. I’m all set now!

Sweet, glad to hear it worked out for you. A question is your kicker a big out put, meaning is it a known high amp output kicker. I’m going to be using a 15hp Merc 4 stroker. Last year year I used a 15 hp 2 stroke and I had to run 1/4 throttle or more, so I’m hoping this kicker will charge my battery also. Thanks for any info. PAP.