Ice depth finder

Xxx

Guys I’m in the process of getting a depth finder for ice fishing ready, I was wondering why I couldn’t use the transducer from the unit, I have a helix 5 I saw on some utube vids they mounted the transducer to a piece if 1x 2 wood weighted the wood to sink, then cut a piece of swim noodle so it floats upright, then you could use reg sonar or downscan ect. What I want to know is what does the iceducer differently than the open water transducer??

I mounted a spring clamp onto a wooden base I made for the fish finder.  I then attached the transducer to the end of a 1"x1" piece of aluminum square stock about 20" long.  I then just put the transducer down the edge of the hole and clamp it at the desired depth.  I can adjust it up or down as the ice thickness changes.  Works great and didn't cost more than 10 bucks total and I got to use a spare fish finder I had.

All you need really is a short piece of the swim noodle and slit it lengthwise and then adjust the cord of the transducer for depth of ice and use something to wedge the cable in place. You do have to bring it out of the hole when fighting a fish though or the line can tangled in it

Edited by Sk8man

Yea Les that was one of my concerns, is it that much of pita to remove the ducer while fighting the fish than put it back in the water?? What do most of the guys use as far as screens, meaning downscan, or regular sonar. I would think downscan?? Thanks for any input!!

The ice ducers are heavy and have the cord coming straight outta the top.  Once you set the float to the desired depth, the ice ducer keeps itself perpendicular to the bottom automatically.  They go in and out of the whole super fast and easy.  I would not be surprised if you could just stand it up on thinner ice and it would still work.  I use it on the floor of my aluminum boat while underway in the summer.  Picks up bottom and fish while moving.

My unit is Elite 4 CHIRP.  I use it on split screen(flasher/graph) mode while ice fishing and perch fishing in the summer.  Not sure if the ducer will do DSI or not.  Never use it on that unit.  Are they an added cost?  Yes.  Do they perform their job very well?  Yes.  Can you rig a transom ducer to do the job just as well?  IDK.  Never tried it.

Well I know we used to make our own transducer sticks for our portable units and used a smaller C clamp to fasten on boats on our Canadian fly in trips and later drive in trips. I'll have to think about this, I'll come with something. LOL. Keep the ideas coming!!!

Mike - the best solution would be to see if Humminbird offers an ice ducer package for your unit. I have 2 units for ice fishing depending on what I'm after. I use my Vexilar flasher for most panfish/walleyes and the Lowrance for deep water jigging for trout. The Lowrance Mark 5x Pro used to be on my boat but I replaced it with the Elite 7 so I bought the ice ducer setup and transferred it to that some time back. It came with the carrying case, traansducer and 12V battery etc. Something similar might exist for your unit (hopefully) as it simplifies things considerabl.....I think my package was about $100. I still keep my transducer from the 5x on the boat just in case for a back up as it will work with both my units. A nother option would be to arrange your transom transducer such that it is pointed downwaard and tape it or afix it to a piece of stainless flat stock so that it would sink holding the ducer in the downward position and then locate the short length of noodle above it to float it in the hole.

5xprofront.jpg

vexifront.jpg

lowranceducer.jpg

vexilarducer.jpg

vexiback.jpg

Yea Les I saw those bag like set ups, I was liking that idea, it’s really not a problem to manufacture something for the transducer. I have these ice screws they turn right into the ice, the have aggressive threads I could fasten a spring clamp like mentioned above to hold the ducer in place and light to the edge of the hole, but I’m going to look into a ice ducer see what they have to offer.

• 3 weeks later...
Yea Les that was one of my concerns, is it that much of pita to remove the ducer while fighting the fish than put it back in the water?? What do most of the guys use as far as screens, meaning downscan, or regular sonar. I would think downscan?? Thanks for any input!!

I make 2 holes, one to fish, one for graph

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

28 minutes ago, scobar said:

I make 2 holes, one to fish, one for graph

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thats what I was thinking, then just make a T out of 1/4 inch aluminum square stock, and wa-la ice fishing with s transom Mt. ducer. Drill hole in square stock. I’d keep the hold together screw and wing nut up so I can get the ducer if not totally below the ice or closer to it. Also I can tur the cross pieces inline with everything make for better storage??:tmi:

11 hours ago, JJBat150 said:

had a piece of 3/4 " PVC conduit laying around  - couple of set of holes in it, so the depth is adjustable.

IceDucer.jpg

:yes: :yes:

The two hole approach can work as long as the cone angle of the transducer is wide enough (remember much of the fishing is in shallow water) and second hole is made close enough to the primary hole. Having a dual or triple setting transducer can also be helpful (e.g. 9 degree used in the main hole or 12 or 19 degree for use within the side hole approach. A long time ago I had one of the original Vexilar flasher units and I just cut a hole in a narrow board and fastened the transom mount to the underside of the board with the face of the transducer facing downward ....worked great except when the board froze to the ice surrounding the hole right when  I wanted to move:lol:

Edited by Sk8man