Walleye fishing in the province of Quebec

There is a lot of talk about walleye fishing and I'm always surprise that not many US residents specially Vermonters and up-state nyer's and Pennsylvanian that are not taking advantage of the exhange rate in your favor. 
There is a reservoir in the middle of the province that is a walleye manufacture.
There is a outfitter that is base in Ste-Veronnique a little less then 2 hrs form Montreal that run a nice business up there. You jump in the Beaver and 1hr later you are at the camp on the reservoir Gouin.
When you look at the rates figure 30% less for you guys; the rates are in Canadian currency.
For 5-7 days it's $830/each Can. That include the boat, motor, plane and camp.

You can eat walleyes everyday and every meals. I'v seen eating walleyes for breakfast, lunch & dinner. There is also some very big pikes but most of the quebecers are not targetting pikes so they are all for you.
I join some links. I'm not related or affiliated to that outfitter but I went there many times in the past and it's a 1st class organisation so I'm not afraid to recommend him. It's a family business, the owners are father & 2 sons; 3 pilots.
http://www.en.airmontlaurier.com/quebec-fishing-pike-walleye-canada/quebec-pourvoiries-lacdumale
http://www.en.airmontlaurier.com/outfitters-packages-quebec-canada

My family and I have been fishing Canada for at least 30 years and we always fished Quebec, and until you experience a Canadian walleye trip there's no way to explain the amount of eyes you can catch a day. Which is more that one can imagine!! I've fished a lake just above Maniwaki? Lake Bitobi? Then we flew into a lake that we fished 15-20 years straight called Lake O'Sullivan. It was leased by an American named Ted Barklow, now it's owned by a Frenchman, I think his name is Mike. We put many miles on Clova road. We fished Mary's lake excellent eye fishing and we fished the Gouin Res. Which is huge we didn't cover 1/10 of that body of water. Another lake we fished and this lake was truly amazing, because the walleyes hit all day long. Not like most others where the evening bite was insane fishing for a 2-3hr period of time. All but the first place I would recommend, unless you want to catch huge sturgen in the Gatinea? River, but I don't know the Canadian rules anymore. Crossing the border has sure changed things and has kept us in the states after 3 different times getting tore down at the border causing us to not make our stay overnight place, losing our deposit a end up sleeping in the truck for a few hrs till we decided to carry on. Even the outfitters were mad. I mean we always took 2-3 trucks so if one had a problem the others were able to get help. We never got fined for anything, U.S. men most served their country, clean cut. We actually got put into a interrogation room 1x1 and asked if we ever had a dui ever smuggled cigarettes into this country, I got asked if I was selling 30-06 ammunition to a outfitter I never heard of. Finally I had enough of this guys shyt!! I said do you have anything to arrest me on, no he said, so I told the police man, either I can go back across the bridge or I can continue to bring close to $10,000 into your country like we've been doing for the last 20 years. Then they left us go. What we spent hrs. doing Friday night we can do all over because they took everything off our trucks, we had to pack it all back on by ourselves. That made for 10 mad men. That's just one incident how many others did they do that to. This was before 911. I love to fish Canada there's no place on this continent that you can catch eyes like Canada, but when you have a truck load of silver haired guys in I doubt their bringing drugs or bombs across the bridge.

12 minutes ago, pap said:

My family and I have been fishing Canada for at least 30 years and we always fished Quebec, and until you experience a Canadian walleye trip there's no way to explain the amount of eyes you can catch a day. Which is more that one can imagine!! I've fished a lake just above Maniwaki? Lake Bitobi? Then we flew into a lake that we fished 15-20 years straight called Lake O'Sullivan. It was leased by an American named Ted Barklow, now it's owned by a Frenchman, I think his name is Mike. We put many miles on Clova road. We fished Mary's lake excellent eye fishing and we fished the Gouin Res. Which is huge we didn't cover 1/10 of that body of water. Another lake we fished and this lake was truly amazing, because the walleyes hit all day long. Not like most others where the evening bite was insane fishing for a 2-3hr period of time. All but the first place I would recommend, unless you want to catch huge sturgen in the Gatinea? River, but I don't know the Canadian rules anymore. Crossing the border has sure changed things and has kept us in the states after 3 different times getting tore down at the border causing us to not make our stay overnight place, losing our deposit a end up sleeping in the truck for a few hrs till we decided to carry on. Even the outfitters were mad. I mean we always took 2-3 trucks so if one had a problem the others were able to get help. We never got fined for anything, U.S. men most served their country, clean cut. We actually got put into a interrogation room 1x1 and asked if we ever had a dui ever smuggled cigarettes into this country, I got asked if I was selling 30-06 ammunition to a outfitter I never heard of. Finally I had enough of this guys shyt!! I said do you have anything to arrest me on, no he said, so I told the police man, either I can go back across the bridge or I can continue to bring close to $10,000 into your country like we've been doing for the last 20 years. Then they left us go. What we spent hrs. doing Friday night we can do all over because they took everything off our trucks, we had to pack it all back on by ourselves. That made for 10 mad men. That's just one incident how many others did they do that to. This was before 911. I love to fish Canada there's no place on this continent that you can catch eyes like Canada, but when you have a truck load of silver haired guys in I doubt their bringing drugs or bombs across the bridge.

I used to go with my family up to a place by Timmins and stopped doing because of the same issues. The walleye, pike, and splake fishing was awesome but not worth the issues at the boarder. 

I think things as improve since you encounter those problems. I cross the border around 60 times per year back and forth and 99.9% of the time I don't have any problem. On all those crossings quite often theire was a US license pplate in front of me and I never seen one pull aside for a second check.

As for the walleyes close to home I have the same excellent fishing 15 min. from home on St-Lawrence but I need that remote fishing trip at least once a year, it's in my blood.

Edited by wallyandre

45 minutes ago, GAMBLER said:

Why go that far when you have Oneida, Erie, St. Lawrence river and Bay of Quinte?  I stopped going to remote Canadian lakes because we have amazing fishing right in our back yard. 

you know that is very true, there really is no need to go to Canada. We where going in the winter so now we just go to the Adirondacks instead. 

Yes we do have excellent fishing here in the states, but honestly I’ve never experienced that Canadian style type walleye fishing. I’ve always gone fishing to Canada since I was a little shyt, I’ve had the closest experience on Lake Erie. Yes we limited out by 11:am but there’s something about being back in the sticks, no radio, no tv. Just the group of guys that came with you. Just wild wilderness everywhere, see moose swimming across the lake. I do miss those trips but I must look like a gangster to the border police. Maybe I’ll give it a shot one day, but all the guys I went with are up in age now. It’s hard to find hard core fishermen anymore, meaning younger gen. That would appreciate the quietness and solitude you get in a trip like this.

4 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

Why go that far when you have Oneida, Erie, St. Lawrence river and Bay of Quinte?  I stopped going to remote Canadian lakes because we have amazing fishing right in our back yard. 

I'd say it's the experience and quite honestly there is nowhere in NY that you can put up the kinda numbers you can put up in some of those lakes.  

33 minutes ago, wallyandre said:

Another excellent lake is the famous Lake Hebert at Air Tamarac. 80% of the customers are US residents and they are returning year after year so I imagine that crossing the border is not a problem.

Wallyandre when we first started going up to that area, Clova road was a mess to say the least, we used this guy Named Mike, he was a over the road trucker that had flying under his belt also. He sold his rig and bought a 1952 De Havilland beaver and Ted hooked us up with him, and we flew with him 4 times till one year it was foggy and wasn’t supposed to lift all day, so that’s when we decided to drive in, 115 miles of dirt road and 15 miles off Clova into LakeO’Sullivan, which took 3hrs in 4wheel drive and guys walking through the water to check how deep it is from the beavers, over rocks as big as my house, the tires hollering on the rock as it’s just about the limit of what a full size pickup could handle. We still talk about the first guys to ever drive into lake O’Sullivan. The owners couldn’t believe we did it. They said it takes over 3hrs with a Duce & half, from that trip on we drove in every trip.

• Like 1

I have a several regular customers that took trips to canada for over a decade and they all say the same thing...why drive so far, spend double, and oh by the way you cant bring back the fish!   The numbers are there for sure, but my customers want filets for the freezer and that isnt an option in canada.   The fish are willing for sure and easy, but the thing that makes walleye fishing great is how tough it is....if i wanted it to be easy id bass fish.  That being said im ready Landshark!!  

There are plenty of places right here in ny to catch your limit of walleyes and fill your freezer. I'd much rather drive a hour or so here fish for the day and go back home for the cost of filling my gas tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 1

The reason I would go wouldn't be about saving money or filling my freezer.  It would just be fun with a small group of friends to get away,  enjoy some shore lunches, have a beverage around a fire.  Share stories, exchange good laughs all the while playing in mother nature's band

• Like 1

The reason I would go wouldn't be about saving money or filling my freezer.  It would just be fun with a small group of friends to get away,  enjoy some shore lunches, have a beverage around a fire.  Share stories, exchange good laughs all the while playing in mother nature's band

Oneida can be stupid easy and huge numbers at times. Erie was a little out of control this year too. Lots of walleye and really easy fishing. We used to do it and feel there is no need anymore. You can have just as much fun here and keep your money in NEw York’s economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The South shore of Lake Ontario is producing bigger and better eyeballs than all those places put together! ( except Erie maybe). Stay home and keep your money in NY.

Edited by devoknevo
Wrong info

Used to go to Nipising every year but heading up to North Bay on a two lane road with all the population growth in Ontario turned a long drive into a nitemare. Added restrictions and making the walleye opener later killed our Memorial Day tradition. Oh well, we just learned how to fish Oneida, Chautauqua, and Erie. Business and growth is booming in Ontario....they don’t miss us Americans. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Father in law keeps talking about us going way up into Canada to fish for walleyes, something they have done a few times. But, seems a waste of time and previous vacation days to me. In two days this summer we caught 33 nice walleyes. On Erie. They were delicious. And, I got to enjoy using and learning to use my own boat, my own equipment. Why would I go 500 miles north, gorge myself on fish, and come home with 6 fish after burning up a week's vacation that I won't be able to use for deer hunting? We have plenty of fun right here on Erie and Ontario. But, to each his own.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have been crossing the border twice a year for the past 25 years to salmon fish in Cobourg. We pull our own boat so they know we are fishermen. We were pulled over and checked one time during that time span.. We were all separated into different rooms and questioned for about 10 minutes. When we returned to our vehicle, it was obvious that it was gone through but not a big mess as some of you have described.

We each buy a conservation license and bring one king each home for the smoker. Never has anyone asked to see our fish even though they generally ask if we have any to which we reply honestly. As someone previously stated, it must be the luck of the draw.