Dunkirk?

We always fished the western end of Erie in the spring, then like the Port Clinton area the 2nd-3rd week of June. I never fished the eastern basin, and was told by at least 3-4 members on here that after the 4th of July is the better fishing in the eastern basin. There are fish to be caught in the eastern basin as there are resident fish as there are resident fish in LakeO.

The earlier you plan on fishing the further west you want to go. Although there is a good residential population of walleye to the extreme east of the lake too. East of Dunkirk.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

These guys fish out of Dunkirk & the Catt ck. in the spring & catch fish.   Ultimate Adventure Sport fishing charters (Fishkiller 16) Captain Jim.     Also 365 Sport fishing charters.  Both are on Facebook & have web sites.  Barcelona harbor to the Pa. line is also a good starting place in the spring, shallow water 25-35 fow. 

Edited by lineman49

As others have said, western basin is your best bet in the spring, but the eastern basin has a decent population of resident fish as well. The best eastern basin (PA & NY) fishing for the migratory Walleye is usually from late June to early September, with July and August being prime.

When the surface water temperature passed 55 degrees, the walleye bite is on. Do not count on a calendar date. If the Lake does not freeze, things will start up. If you need a calendar date, June 1, is good for waters east of Sturgeon Point. After July 4th, the action moves to Silver Creek.

Great mixed bag of trout, Walleye and bass from mid may on inside 35 ft off Dunkirk to the west. You can also flatline troll the shallows at night in May. 

Here is a pick of a three hr two man day time limit. Trolling two and three color sets off in lines. 

IMG_0142.JPG

• Like 1

Hot spot maps give great insight into the bottom. You can see the rock piles of Dunkirk and the dunes of Barcelona. Both are excellent. Accommodations are hands down better at Dunkirk. Barcelona has a KOA and that about it. Best of luck!

Sorry for delay in replying.....PC acting up...

Anyway, agree with RD9.   For us, the June fishery starts in the inside waters and gradually moves out.

There is some structure 6-7 miles west that can hold fish.  We also have done well trolling 45-55 right out in front of the

harbor.

There is a Clarion hotel right at the marina; a couple more at the I-90 exit.    Lake Erie State park about 7 miles west.

Lake Erie United has a Hot Spot Map feature that gives you depth contours and harbor details.  Many of the same people that are on LOU use LEU as well.  In 2017 LEU had pretty up to date info on fishing around Dunkirk. LEU is a newer site, but it is likely to grow in popularity.