Seneca dead fish

So many dead fish in Seneca, crystal clear water, saw numerous dead rain bows in the 20 to 22 inch range. Dead suckers, carp and who knows what else. Snagged a couple of the bows, the exterior of body was healthy. Insane how many dead fish we saw this weekend.

Ugh...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Please contact the dec and if you can, give them a few of the dead rainbows.

The fact that it is very different species may point to pollution or poisoning

Edited by rolmops

Lots perch, crappie, lmb, Pike, bull head, and blue gills yesterday dead... Only thing I haven't seen dead is rud and bait... The large fish that came in around dark where covered in lampreys... Pretty sad the lampreys are as big the Pike and trout being caught (20+").

Don't worry, it will be a huge bait pond in a few years

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Man something ain’t right!! And those F’n lamprey are feeding off the ones that are healthy??

Not a good sign for sure.

Edited by pap

What may be needed now is a special team composed of fisheries biologists from universities as well as DEC and law enforcement folks to thoroughly investigate it by taking water samples in various spots along the lake shore at selected depths and check for potential sources of toxins or contaminants, increased water salinity, and potential infectious sources (e.g. botulism, viruses?) and have Cornell examine the resulting samples as well as some of the dead fish carcasses. The usual or often used excuses of low oxygen levels and severe temperature changes  as the source are total BS and should be viewed as  unexceptable. Will this happen? - probably not.

Edited by Sk8man

I mean there's fish to be caught and good days and bad. But with the water so clear, and hardly seeing any fish at all, usually you can venture to the salt plant discharges and see fish, nothing, zip, zero at either plant this weekend.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That is why I mentioned water salinity needs to be checked. Additionally the rumor that many of the fish are being ground up in the electric plant turbines is still an unanswered question in many folks minds.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Could it have anything to do with gas storage in the old salt mines? If the gas leaches out, it will replace the oxygen holding air in the water. Add to that the colder water temperature which makes the water denser and hold less air. If that is the case,there probably are some very powerful interests that want to stop the DEC from finding out. Most politicians care more for the hand that feeds them than the people they pretend to represent.

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 1

I received a reply from Brad today: Here is what he said: If anyone has specific info please send it or call him (Gator makes a great point)

Les,

Do you have any recent information on the dead fish at Sampson or the south end of the lake? What exactly are they seeing; numbers, species, and locations? Are they on the bottom or floating? We need to get fresh specimens in order to get them tested at Cornell. By fresh I mean about to die or just deceased, not a day later. Is there someone I can contact directly? Or you can have them contact me directly at 585-226-5344. As of now I will be here all week. Without getting fresh samples to Cornell we likely will never know what caused these fish to die.

Thanks!

Brad

Here is his email address: [email protected].

Edited by Sk8man

Could it have anything to do with gas storage in the old salt mines? If the gas leaches out, it will replace the oxygen holding air in the water. Add to that the colder water temperature which makes the water denser and hold less air. If that is the case,there probably are some very powerful interests that want to stop the DEC from finding out. Most politicians care more for the hand that feeds them than the people they pretend to represent.

I received a reply from Brad today: Here is what he said: If anyone has specific info please send it or call him (Gator makes a great point)

Les,

Do you have any recent information on the dead fish at Sampson or the south end of the lake? What exactly are they seeing; numbers, species, and locations? Are they on the bottom or floating? We need to get fresh specimens in order to get them tested at Cornell. By fresh I mean about to die or just deceased, not a day later. Is there someone I can contact directly? Or you can have them contact me directly at 585-226-5344. As of now I will be here all week. Without getting fresh samples to Cornell we likely will never know what caused these fish to die.

Thanks!
 Brad
Here is his email address: [email protected].

Sent from my LG-M327 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Does anyone have an e-mail list for a finger lakes angler association that they could share this information? Or maybe make a poster and put it at one of the launches? Up here on Lady O, Jerry was collecting salmon in his freezer for a survey; anglers just dropped them off and he arranged to get them to the right people. It seems like the hump is simply having enough eyes on the water with knowledge of what's needed. It may be worth connecting with the scientists at Cornell directly, too, as they wouldn't have any pressure or agenda (not saying DEC is bad people, we all know they aren't, but public servants don't always get to do what they want, if they want to keep their job). I agree that the timing of this die off is suspicious to say the least. It's always interesting to hear about how stuff can't possibly happen, until it does. Time and again.

• Like 1