Seneca dead fish

Unfortunately it will take higher ups in this state to make that happen.

Also, you think the state will risk limiting how healthy vineyards could be? The tourism drive and $$ is huge. I mean 80 percent of my trips are tourism based, but it's getting to the point I may have to leave. Although we do very well, it's not like it was. It's butt busting work out there at times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You might be right fogger I might have missed what you have noticed on your graph what area were you checking.

Ron, it’s out in front of glass factory, south of belhurst, it’s about 100yds wide. Closer to the west side than the middle. Interesting thing when your bouncing the lead with flashers goes from soft mud to a rock I’ve got it saved on my navionics I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

WOW this is all new to me.  We used to go to Keyuka every week for many years and get real nice catches of decent lakers.   Then that died and all we caught was 20 inch lakers.  We have not be to NY fishing for three months now.  Of course hunting and trapping season are in full swing, but that did not stop us before.  Now Seneca Lake too.  Is Cayuga next?   All my friends have boats and now there is a lot less places to go.  Our boats are small and Keyuka was just nice size.  I will have to visit this site more often.  I really did enjoy the conversations on site.....jk

My take on it is that the problems with Seneca in particular and many of the Finger Lakes for that matter is a compound and complex set of issues and problems;not a single "silver bullet" factor. Many of the observations  made by people fishing and living along the lake over time suggest that: the general rise in environmental temperatures over the past decades may have influenced things, the introduction of multiple invasive species, greatly increased development along the shores, the general lack of burms to hold back agricultural and vineyard run-off, increased introduction of lawn fertilizers and pesticides, possible leeching of salt both road salt with it's harmful chemicals and possibly that from the under lake caverns, the multiple overflow problems with sewage dumped into the lake, and possibly numerous other factors have heavily stressed the lakes and watersheds deteriorating their capacity to sustain life. Critically, basic links in the food chain (phytoplankton and zooplankton) are being (or have been) removed gradually impacting all the organisms above them in the food chain which has now taken its toll much more visibly. The introduction and movement outward and gradual explosion into the depths of the Quagga mussels, the covering of traditional shallow water spawning areas by zebra mussels and their remnants have delivered a knock out punch as well. Maintaining a balance in the underwater ecosystem is essential to maintaining a fiishery and when several very basic and crucial things are severely out of balance this is the resulting scenario and it is happening at different rates and levels of severity in these lakes making it difficult to pinpoint things.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lakebound88 said:

Unfortunately it will take higher ups in this state to make that happen.

Also, you think the state will risk limiting how healthy vineyards could be? The tourism drive and $$ is huge. I mean 80 percent of my trips are tourism based, but it's getting to the point I may have to leave. Although we do very well, it's not like it was. It's butt busting work out there at times.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The bad press will hurt your charter business too.  Just like how fishing reports can make or break charters.  If the fishing is hot and heavy, people will come and fish.  If reports are saying fishing sucks, people will not spend the $$$.  I know a bunch of people that read this sites reports and conditions section before coming up to Lake Ontario to fish. 

Last night I checked Sampson out. Water super clear so I stood on the wall looked out as far as I could see.. large dead perch out 20 ft off the wall, two large dead Pike in the marina, dead bull head floating, no bait around, couple dead gills, dead large mouth...

What I did see alive... about 1000 rud... 4 cigar sized perch one 20" Pike... So much for the legendary perch fishing at Sampson [emoji31][emoji379]

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's what some say. Some say October, some say November, some say March. I got a pretty good idea how they move around in the winter months now. Also the dead ones I saw could been from Pike with eyes bigger then their guts. The perch have a lot of marks from Pike strikes.( Dec told me last year that's what it was anyway)

Nick, didn't you just release a bunch Lakers a few years ago? About 3 years ago? We should be seeing those fish being caught soon if they made it?

Sent from my XT1609 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Bad press might be bad for business, but keeping silent will not help.....nor will it improve the fishing. Public pressure can change things. We have a lot of people that don't fish that have a vested interest in clean water/ healthy fishery.

I've contacted Jeff Murray from the Star Gazette and he has promised to reach out to Nick soon, and Brad after he returns from holiday break.