Seneca dead fish

6 minutes ago, chugbug said:

kind of related , there was a time recently that no swimming was allowed at Stewart park on the south end of cayuga and maybe is still off limits, whats that all about there's a nice park on a beautiful finger lake and the water in this area isn't clean enough to swim !!!!

algae bloom most likely . seems to be every year now . it comes and goes as the water warms up . not sure who dose the testing probably the dec . when it test safe they open it back ...

Thanks Zebedee certainly suggestive of a couple pieces of the puzzle.....

Hope you are able to get the fish analyzed Mike. I owuld assume DEC would be interested and pick up the specimen. Might want to contact Brad Hammers at 585-226-5344.

Edited by Sk8man

I dont think swimming has been allowed at stewart park for quite a few years unless they opened it recently , I was told it was a bacterial pollution at the time , just what I heard I never looked into any further just really surprised the water in that area wasn't fit to swim in and that they couldn't fix the problem .

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 9:00 AM, pennyan27 said:

IMG_0198.JPGIMG_0198.JPG

While this thread has created a lot of great discussion and the decline in Seneca fishing is likely a multi-faceted issue, I think we've all witnessed a very big increase in the lamprey problem. Almost every trout I've put in the boat the past few years (which is far fewer than years past!) has either had a lamprey hanging onto it or a fairly fresh wound from one. I've even had several occasions of lamprey hanging onto the downrigger ball when I pulled it up! My question is "what can we do other than continue to buy our fishing licenses and complete survey diaries every year to promote/support a more aggressive lamprey control program?". Not sure if the rainbows that Nick started this thread with we're also victims of the lamprey but my guess it most of them we're at least wounded if not killed by them.

That lamprey hole looks suspicious.  Usually after the lamprey detaches the wound is all red and angry looking.  That lamprey hole looks like the surrounding tissue became necrotic (dead).  

It could also be that the lamprey was attached for quite awhile sucking the nutrients out of the laker and the area surrounding the hole was necrotic (dead).

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Hey Guys,

I received the following from Brad Hammers earlier today:

"I also believe lamprey may be having an impact on fish in Seneca Lake. We were delayed treating Catharine Creek by a year and a half due to weather issues and subsequent high flows. And then when we did treat we may not have been as successful as we hoped because of really low flows…couldn’t catch a break during that time span. We are scheduled to treat this coming June and hopefully that will have a major impact on the population. Lampreys seem to target browns and Atlantics first and then lake and rainbow trout. So, to answer your questions regarding when northern population declined, they had plenty of other things to eat. I don’t really thing of lamprey having a huge effect on northerns as they typically attack other species, but I’m sure they can have a minor role in there mortality. "

As for the panfish, bullhead, etc. which have been mentioned, it would not appear their mortality would be attributed to lamprey attacks.

To second the others on this thread:  if you can obtain a sick fish, get them to the DEC, Cornell or a conservation officer speaking of which, below are contact for two:

Joshua Crain - 315-775-7168
RJ Gross - 315-408-6086

The are both with Region 8

On 1/10/2018 at 9:27 AM, Sk8man said:

It could also be that the lamprey was attached for quite awhile sucking the nutrients out of the laker and the area surrounding the hole was necrotic (dead).

I was thinking maybe the lamprey hole created a secondary infection esp with all the talk of high bacteria count in the areas of concern.

It's no secret that Watkins has a sewage treatment problem. Plans have been in the works for a bigger more modern treatment facility. The facility currently has had shut downs and Raw sewage has had to be dumped. ( They were fined 700,000$ a day for everyday they dumped raw sewage into the lake during the Phish concert) This would certainly contribute to a bacterial problem...

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It's no secret that Watkins has a sewage treatment problem. Plans have been in the works for a bigger more modern treatment facility. The facility currently has had shut downs and Raw sewage has had to be dumped. ( They were fined 700,000$ a day for everyday they dumped raw sewage into the lake during the Phish concert) This would certainly contribute to a bacterial problem...

Sent from my E6810 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's sad, especially since the bulk of the lake's rainbows spawn there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app