calling all dogs

bondouley

Now that deer season is over its predator hunting time again!   I will be out friday night and saturday night for the first sets of the year. Im seeing plenty of sign so should be a good year for them.  Has anyone been out calling at all yet this season?

I'm patiently waiting the return of my FoxPro. It had a blown speaker and was supposed to arrive yesterday. I have some serious signs close to home and can't wait to get after em ! I'll be headed out the night I get the call back ! Good luck !!!

Btw. What area are you in ?

I'm patiently waiting the return of my FoxPro. It had a blown speaker and was supposed to arrive yesterday. I have some serious signs close to home and can't wait to get after em ! I'll be headed out the night I get the call back ! Good luck !!!

Btw. What area are you in ?

What fox pro are you running? I run a primos alpha dog

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Are you guys hunting these at night or in the early morning and late afternoon? up here in Pa. I have the most luck in the late afternoon. after dark I have no luck with dogs!! too much pressure up my way.

1 hour ago, NymphO said:

I have the shockwave. Love it. Use the heck out of it too. Just got dropped off by the mail lady too, so I'll be after some Erie county dogs tonight !!

very nice i dont think im going to be able to get out till friday night.  I might go out and try a stand or 2 tonight but doubtful    Good luck!

21 minutes ago, Fishnut said:

Are you guys hunting these at night or in the early morning and late afternoon? up here in Pa. I have the most luck in the late afternoon. after dark I have no luck with dogs!! too much pressure up my way.

I hunt them mainly after dark and first 2 hours of the morning till it gets really cold.   Once the single digits for daytime temps arrive then i will hunt the middle of the day.    Lots of pressure up here in NY also but everytime i use to call in the late afternoon the dogs would wait till dark to come in.   Plus its a lot of fun shooting them after dark

I hunt them mainly after dark and first 2 hours of the morning till it gets really cold.   Once the single digits for daytime temps arrive then i will hunt the middle of the day.    Lots of pressure up here in NY also but everytime i use to call in the late afternoon the dogs would wait till dark to come in.   Plus its a lot of fun shooting them after dark

X2

3 hours ago, Fishnut said:

Fish nut what calls are you using, the screaming bunny they all heard, there’s a few coyote hunts around here a year and of course their all out there hollering around and educating the yotes. A few young of the year get shot off and of course usually a few heavier dogs get killed. Everyone likes a fight, so I started using chicken fight, pheasants in distress and birds. We noticed tracks and saw flashes of something when crow hunting. Playing the death cry of a crow brings in a lot of different predators, but we only ever used that in the day. Raspy sounding turkey usually makes for curiosity kills the dog:lol: now that we have remotes for our callers a lot of guys stick the caller 75-100 yards away, and the might seem like a good idea, but if you get one to hold up usually around 100 yards to the sound now your dog is almost twice the distance and a good chance at night you won’t see him. I like to set 30-50 yards off to the side, I also call with the wind less volume carries further and face yourself into the wind. Won’t be long we can start with female invitation, howl,  2 dogs fighting right after the female invitation. Just switch up see if it improves. Just a suggestion, it’s worked for me, OOH two kittens, worked for us, if your hunt around farms, a lot of farm animal in distress will work!! Best of luck to ya. I just got a night vision scope getting it fitted to my heavy barrel 25/06, I’m not a pelt hunter.:lol: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! PAP.

• Like 2

Fish nut what calls are you using, the screaming bunny they all heard, there’s a few coyote hunts around here a year and of course their all out there hollering around and educating the yotes. A few young of the year get shot off and of course usually a few heavier dogs get killed. Everyone likes a fight, so I started using chicken fight, pheasants in distress and birds. We noticed tracks and saw flashes of something when crow hunting. Playing the death cry of a crow brings in a lot of different predators, but we only ever used that in the day. Raspy sounding turkey usually makes for curiosity kills the dog[emoji38] now that we have remotes for our callers a lot of guys stick the caller 75-100 yards away, and the might seem like a good idea, but if you get one to hold up usually around 100 yards to the sound now your dog is almost twice the distance and a good chance at night you won’t see him. I like to set 30-50 yards off to the side, I also call with the wind less volume carries further and face yourself into the wind. Won’t be long we can start with female invitation, howl,  2 dogs fighting right after the female invitation. Just switch up see if it improves. Just a suggestion, it’s worked for me, OOH two kittens, worked for us, if your hunt around farms, a lot of farm animal in distress will work!! Best of luck to ya. I just got a night vision scope getting it fitted to my heavy barrel 25/06, I’m not a pelt hunter.[emoji38] Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! PAP.

Great info pap! I use bird calls at night the work good especially for fox

• Like 1

Hey guys, I’m super excited to see a post in here about hunting coyotes.    I follow Rob’s post daily throughout all of deer season.    Fortunately I had a successful deer season but unfortunately I seem to have come across too many coyotes as usual.   This year I plan to put some effort into hopefully taking some out of the area where I hunt.   I am very new to calling in coyote but I have had good success in shooting them throughout the deer season.   All the coyote I have ever seen have been in the morning hours after sunrise.  I have never seen them in the evening while hunting.   I shot this one mid gun season.   

0713DCE8-4459-4373-BC19-FA1B7E864D38.jpeg

Looking forward to a great season.
Surprised by the lack of fresh, local road kill deer but that usually takes care of itself. Son went calling this am but pretty windy and no luck, but a lot of tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Looking forward to a great season.
Surprised by the lack of fresh, local road kill deer but that usually takes care of itself. Son went calling this am but pretty windy and no luck, but a lot of tracks.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Theres a road kill east bound on the parkway just past 390 saw it tonight on my way home from work

What kind of lights do you guys recommend for night hunting ?   Scope mounted red or green ?   

I use a iprotect green light mounted to my barrel not my scope. I dont mount it to my scope cause the gun wont fit in my case that way. I use a wicked head lamp in red for scanning. Once i pick up eyes then i switch to my green kill light. When i use my shotgun i only use my red scanning light cause its hands free

Fish nut what calls are you using, the screaming bunny they all heard, there’s a few coyote hunts around here a year and of course their all out there hollering around and educating the yotes. A few young of the year get shot off and of course usually a few heavier dogs get killed. Everyone likes a fight, so I started using chicken fight, pheasants in distress and birds. We noticed tracks and saw flashes of something when crow hunting. Playing the death cry of a crow brings in a lot of different predators, but we only ever used that in the day. Raspy sounding turkey usually makes for curiosity kills the dog:lol: now that we have remotes for our callers a lot of guys stick the caller 75-100 yards away, and the might seem like a good idea, but if you get one to hold up usually around 100 yards to the sound now your dog is almost twice the distance and a good chance at night you won’t see him. I like to set 30-50 yards off to the side, I also call with the wind less volume carries further and face yourself into the wind. Won’t be long we can start with female invitation, howl,  2 dogs fighting right after the female invitation. Just switch up see if it improves. Just a suggestion, it’s worked for me, OOH two kittens, worked for us, if your hunt around farms, a lot of farm animal in distress will work!! Best of luck to ya. I just got a night vision scope getting it fitted to my heavy barrel 25/06, I’m not a pelt hunter.:lol: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!! PAP.

Mike

I use the premo alpha dog caller. I have my best luck hunting I the evening. My best calls are fawn I distress, Fox in distress, turkey putting, rabbit in distress and cat in distress. I usually setup looking down wind, I’ve never had one come in with the wind. I also use a decoy. I set it up as high as I can get it so it’s easier for them to spot. Mines a mechanical rabbit. I’ve set it on fence posts 4 feet off the ground and had yotes run in like there on a string when they see it. My weapon of choice is a tack driving 22-250. And a 12 gauge 3 - 1/2” with # 4 shot and an extra full choke tube.
Good hunting fellas hope we all get a few.

Merry Christmas all.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app