calling all dogs

bondouley

12 hours ago, Fishnut said:

Mike

I use the premo alpha dog caller. I have my best luck hunting I the evening. My best calls are fawn I distress, Fox in distress, turkey putting, rabbit in distress and cat in distress. I usually setup looking down wind, I’ve never had one come in with the wind. I also use a decoy. I set it up as high as I can get it so it’s easier for them to spot. Mines a mechanical rabbit. I’ve set it on fence posts 4 feet off the ground and had yotes run in like there on a string when they see it. My weapon of choice is a tack driving 22-250. And a 12 gauge 3 - 1/2” with # 4 shot and an extra full choke tube.
Good hunting fellas hope we all get a few.

Merry Christmas all.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

how early in the afternoon do you hunt?  I have never had a coyote come in before dark when hunting the afternoons.  Ive shot a few fox before dark but never a yote

Just now, garrymny said:

I hope you hunt the Alabama swamps. Lots of coyote tracks there, as well as for. Not good for the deer population.

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

i have not but i have some property thats in that area that i hunt.   I will have to scout the area

Coyotes can be killed at anytime of the day... I stick with night time as I feel I'm more likely to cross paths with a naturally nocturnal animal. Once the temps drop and snow conditions change I will do some early mornings and even some afternoon hunts. If a yote can't fill his belly at night and it's cold, they will need to hunt the afternoon. Also, they typically aren't in a den and they are bedded in earshot of a call. Sometimes you can just be at the right place at the right time and score one at high noon. I am Def not an expert hunter, trust me but I have spent alot of time after em. If you like forums check out bark at the moon. Great group and always willing to help. There are some guys on there that put down unreal numbers. I believe there is a 2 man crew on there way to the 100 mark for this year...

how early in the afternoon do you hunt?  I have never had a coyote come in before dark when hunting the afternoons.  Ive shot a few fox before dark but never a yote

I usually start 3 or 4 hours before sundown. When a coyote gets up for the evening he or she will eat there biggest meal of the day within a half hour of rising for the evening.

I usually don’t hunt blind. I will take a ride in the evening with my howler and locate a few coyotes. The next afternoon I will setup on these locations and start to call. I want to be the first thing that the coyote hears when she gets up for the evening. Works really well. Always face down wind and use a decoy.

45 minutes ago, NymphO said:

Coyotes can be killed at anytime of the day... I stick with night time as I feel I'm more likely to cross paths with a naturally nocturnal animal. Once the temps drop and snow conditions change I will do some early mornings and even some afternoon hunts. If a yote can't fill his belly at night and it's cold, they will need to hunt the afternoon. Also, they typically aren't in a den and they are bedded in earshot of a call. Sometimes you can just be at the right place at the right time and score one at high noon. I am Def not an expert hunter, trust me but I have spent alot of time after em. If you like forums check out bark at the moon. Great group and always willing to help. There are some guys on there that put down unreal numbers. I believe there is a 2 man crew on there way to the 100 mark for this year...

yeah im alreadey on bark at the moon forum have been for a few years now.    I agree when daytime temps are single or barely double digits mid day is the best at least thats been my experience.  

43 minutes ago, Fishnut said:

I usually start 3 or 4 hours before sundown. When a coyote gets up for the evening he or she will eat there biggest meal of the day within a half hour of rising for the evening.

I usually don’t hunt blind. I will take a ride in the evening with my howler and locate a few coyotes. The next afternoon I will setup on these locations and start to call. I want to be the first thing that the coyote hears when she gets up for the evening. Works really well. Always face down wind and use a decoy.

yes always downwind and i always use a decoy when daytime hunting.  I will have to try locating them the afternoon before then go back the next day.  good tip

I hope this thread continues like Legacies Deer hunting thread. This is a strange years so far with the weather, one day it’s 50* the next it’s in the mid 30’s, no snow that melted. I’m trying somthing new to me this year. My brother in law and I are going to try doing it with out a light this year, I had bought a monocular in the 2nd Gen night vision, and I bought a a night vision  telescope from Todd on here LOU, it’s a gen1 phase 2. I was wondering which decoys do you guys use that have worked the best for you!! In the snow I use a rabbit decoy that actually moves across the snow, I forget the name, but it’s like built in a can with a screw on lid and a motor spins a offset piece and creates a vibration and it sits on a piece of foam that’s not flat so if you put it on a grade or slope it move down the grade. It’s programmed to stop and go for about 10min. But I’m looking for something more aggressive and higher. What’s your favorite decoy. Thanks pap.

The Rabbit is what I use most of the time. I also have a tail on a wire that spins, it sets on a fence post better than the rabbit.  the trick is to get it high enough for them to see the movement from several hundred yards away. A coyote doesn't seam to care that rabbits cant climb fence posts or that there is a tail on a fence post wagging like hell. its the movement that is the icing on the cake. I have never had one hang up once they have seen the decoy.  Im a firm believer in decoys. the trick is make it visible!!!!

This goes with the blind question above.....Does anyone ever hunt from a stand?  One of the places in PA I hunt has ladder stands all over the property.  Hunting from a stand has to be as much as an advantage as it does for deer.  Out of their line of sight (esp. for a predator), should help a little with scent, and you can obv. see a lot farther from a stand.  thoughts?

My best time ever hunting yotes was from a deer stand I found, it was like a fortress up on 4 telephone poles, I left the caller in a tree about 4ft off the ground. When I got up in this stand I could see forever, I shot 3 dogs that night by myself, I could see along a ridge in one direction and a long ways the other, two dogs shot in one direction and one from the total different direction it was the best time ever for me, I haven’t got back since my accident, one of the neatest things I remember was the dog never knew where the shot came from I chambered another shell and the two dogs almost laid touching each other, I was hyped up at this point I had my best day ever so I spun around and I saw movement, no freaken way, so switched to pups in distress and this all black yote came barreling in at about 50 stopped and sat down yet, I was shaking so much I couldn’t hold the crosshairs on a bull elephant:lol:.  I managed to wedge myself in the stand and took my jacket that I took off after shooting the other two and made a makeshift sandbag settled the crosshairs on the chest area and squeezed my 25/06 off and it worked. I had a hell of a time to find them. Once on the ground it was very different. That was my best ever night. That was at least 6-7 years ago. I hope with my new toys I can pull a few shots off this year. Best of luck to all!! Thanks for the tips on a decoy I have a foxpro caller that has a jack to operate a decoy, maybe I’ll buy a stand alone one also!! 

So, do you carry both the shotgun and rifle, to your calling site,? And, do you use a blind?

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have but I don’t anymore. Just the 22-250. If some goes with me one of us takes a shotgun.

This goes with the blind question above.....Does anyone ever hunt from a stand?  One of the places in PA I hunt has ladder stands all over the property.  Hunting from a stand has to be as much as an advantage as it does for deer.  Out of their line of sight (esp. for a predator), should help a little with scent, and you can obv. see a lot farther from a stand.  thoughts?

If I have a really good feeling in a spot that it’s a sure thing I’m going to call one in I will take a climber stand. It’s a big advantage.

Had an awesome first hunt last night. Got out of the truck and they were singing about 1/4 mile away.. headed to my spot and had an alpha howl within 100. Setup quick in a spot I didn't love, but didn't want to blow him out. Ended up having two dogs make a giant circle around me (wind was swirling) they barked a few times then came behind me through the woods and came out in the cut corn. Unfortunately I didn't have a great shot so I decided to hold off instead of educate. I'll give em a couple days rest and hunt another location a few hundred yards away.

Nothing like headed to a stand at night and have that big ole song dog howling close.

7 hours ago, NymphO said:

Had an awesome first hunt last night. Got out of the truck and they were singing about 1/4 mile away.. headed to my spot and had an alpha howl within 100. Setup quick in a spot I didn't love, but didn't want to blow him out. Ended up having two dogs make a giant circle around me (wind was swirling) they barked a few times then came behind me through the woods and came out in the cut corn. Unfortunately I didn't have a great shot so I decided to hold off instead of educate. I'll give em a couple days rest and hunt another location a few hundred yards away.

Nothing like headed to a stand at night and have that big ole song dog howling close.

very cool!  Im hoping to get out tonight for the first sets of the year

• Like 1