calling all dogs

bondouley

I went Out this morning.   Tried a bunch of different calls but nothing pulled anything in.   Visibility was very low due to 3” of snow on branches.   On the bright side their was dog tracks absolutely all over.   Mainly single tracks, no groups.   Apparently being out after the snow stopped last night would have been Great.  

I went Out this morning.   Tried a bunch of different calls but nothing pulled anything in.   Visibility was very low due to 3” of snow on branches.   On the bright side their was dog tracks absolutely all over.   Mainly single tracks, no groups.   Apparently being out after the snow stopped last night would have been Great.  

I did 2 sets this morning tracks every where but nothing came in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Just have to keep trying. Different places, different calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Sometimes, the same call at the same place can get you fur. U never know. Keep trying. Don't overcall cause u will school the dogs quickly. Watching your wind is also very, very important. I can count on one hand the times dogs didn't come in down wind. Plan for that with caller and setup. If you saw alot of tracks but none were together that's typically a hunting pack that's spread out to cover ground. You catch them with some vocals at night and you may be able to stack one on top of the other !

How long do you typically run a call before pausing and switching to another.   How long after sunset would you typically run vocals  

I usually run a call about 2 mins before a pause. How long after sunset depends on the conditions. I usually like to wait an hour or 2 after sunset

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Hey guys I been having a problem!! I bought a night vision telescope, so that means one of my guns will be dedicated night rifle, I have a 22/250 w/bull barrel and its heavy as such, now we’re going to add this scope which isn’t light and a set of Harris bipods. I also own a 25/06 with a heavy barrel with a wooden laminated stock. (Ruger) so the same crap is going on this gun should I decide that this is my gun of choice. My 25/06 only likes hand loads I messed around for days till I got this gun to shoot. But this puppy drives tacks. I understand if you have 10 rounds your probably safe for the year, god I hope not :lol:the 22/250 I can buy shells for and it shoots good. But In Pa. around where we hunt it’s hard to pull a dog out of the shelter of the woods line. Most only time you will get a dog to commit to the open is during the mating season which is at least 2 months away. What keeps sticking in my head is Whalers success with a 204. I wonder if those dogs are out in the open? Maybe I should check into a composite stock for my Ruger and just be done with it?? What would you guys do. I’m really taking a liking to the Creedmoor 6mm. My buddy bought a 243 wsm and has a few dogs under his belt with that also. He has a 222.Rem but switched to the 243.wsm?

Edited by pap

Pap, as long as you hit what you aim at it probably doesn’t matter.
A lot of our hunts have to be less than 22 caliber. 204 is fast and flat.
17 isn’t enough for Yotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

How long do you typically run a call before pausing and switching to another.   How long after sunset would you typically run vocals  

Depends on the call/ time of day and stand. Distress I'll let go for up to 10 minutes but I fluctuate volume most of the set. As far as vocals go, as soon as the sun goes down locator vocals. After an hour or so of dark female howls for breeding season, coyote pup distress etc. I highly recommend you stay away from challenge vocals or barks. The only time they should be used is if you have a dog or two that will answer everything you throw at em but won't come closer. Basically it's the come here, come here come here's and if that don't work it's the FU I'm gonna come get you first or get the F off my turf ! Lol, sorry for the vulgar analogies.

Every stand is different. Most dogs react different. Picking up the similarities during your stands will help make your kill number higher. Don't be afraid to try anything (besides challenge calls) when your out there. I have killed some dogs over some crazy sounds. Over calling is your worst enemy. The wind is too.

Hey guys I been having a problem!! I bought a night vision telescope, so that means one of my guns will be dedicated night rifle, I have a 22/250 w/bull barrel and its heavy as such, now we’re going to add this scope which isn’t light and a set of Harris bipods. I also own a 25/06 with a heavy barrel with a wooden laminated stock. (Ruger) so the same crap is going on this gun should I decide that this is my gun of choice. My 25/06 only likes hand loads I messed around for days till I got this gun to shoot. But this puppy drives tacks. I understand if you have 10 rounds your probably safe for the year, god I hope not [emoji38]the 22/250 I can buy shells for and it shoots good. But In Pa. around where we hunt it’s hard to pull a dog out of the shelter of the woods line. Most only time you will get a dog to commit to the open is during the mating season which is at least 2 months away. What keeps sticking in my head is Whalers success with a 204. I wonder if those dogs are out in the open? Maybe I should check into a composite stock for my Ruger and just be done with it?? What would you guys do. I’m really taking a liking to the Creedmoor 6mm. My buddy bought a 243 wsm and has a few dogs under his belt with that also. He has a 222.Rem but switched to the 243.wsm?

Sounds like a perfect "excuse" to buy a new rig. I have a savage lightweight hunter. Bolt action, tack driver in .308. Unbelievably light. I still prefer the semi auto .223 for dogs but weighs 2x as much. Coyote caliber is only determined by end goal for fur. Want to tan everything you kill, .17 or 204 or even .223 with right ammo. Want them dead where you hit em, .308, 6.5 etc.

Either way,just buy a few and see what you like [emoji12]

9 minutes ago, dawsonscreek said:

The only yote I ever called in and killed was just at sunset, distress calls. Was using a .204 at the time. Put her down right in her tracks. 

Awesome job, the few under my belt was using dead coyote and my 25/06 but more with the scatter gun in the woods!!

If you need some roadkill, I saw a fresh deer car accident tonight with the deer still sitting upright on the parkway east bound just east of Long Pond Road. 

Image1514218940.196596.jpgImage1514218957.103243.jpg
Thanks to Tboo the bait pile is ready to rock.
Big stinky old doe.
The fur is going to fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

12 minutes ago, ken frearson said:

Yep Bill, started running hounds right off the get go, we had a great run on a fox that day 2hours long and he's still running . Found one of the hounds tied up on a frount porch in Kendall guess she stopped for lunch. Them more fox after that no coyote runs yet but plenty of tracks.

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Lost my prise beagle a few years ago for days, one day I got a phone call my beagle named Ozzie was on the couch eating candy with a nice little older lady, she said he was good company but I know he belongs with his owner. She asked if I ever want to retire him she would love to have first dibs for him.:lol: he smelled good!! and was groomed well. But he flew off the couch when he Me. 

• Like 2