calling all dogs

bondouley

Bill..Whistler is the real deal with that set up... I went out with him one night... Conditions sucked, but that set up he has is crazy....

Sent from my VS987 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Yeah Matt, I can only imagine. Pretty cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

28 minutes ago, Missdemeanor said:
Bill..Whistler is the real deal with that set up... I went out with him one night... Conditions sucked, but that set up he has is crazy....

Went out a couple days later and did 2 sets. Called saw 4 yotes and 3 fox in the 2 sets but the yotes winded the **** out of me. Tried to give the foxes a pass but 2 of them were dumb as bricks and we're still around at the end of the set so down they went.  Check out how far this fox goes to get the wind right on the caller.  Look at the 30 second mark and you'll see a 2nd fox working in.  That one layed down and stared at the Fox pro for 10 minutes even with me howling at it and playing 5 min of pup distress at the end.  Needed to die.  Furs look great.

20171220_212141.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Edited by iiwhistlerii

Yeah Matt, I can only imagine. Pretty cool stuff.

Just curious. What kind of setup do you have whistler? Gun and scope? Thanks

Sent from my LG-M327 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Gun is a rock river arms lar-15 in .204 . Scope is a pulsar trail xq50 and I scan with a pulsar helion xq30. About 10 grand into what I carry into the field for a set. I'll be upgrading after March if anyone is interested in scope and scanner and save a few hundred off of full price.

What are you using for ammo? Amazing results! Thanks for posting the vids and pics. Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
Some handloaded 35 grain bergers and some 32 grain factory vmax. Both seem to get the job done but shot placement is everything. That 1 runner that eventually died behind the trees in the video was shot through his neck and out his back and took another one through the rib cage while on the run with 32 grain vmax. Just tough damn dogs. The 48 pounder the bullet splashed on his shoulder bone so he got back up and made it another 50 yards before going back down.

Man that’s an amazing set up for sure, put all that aside what do you use to bring in the dogs, mouth calls, electronic, what sounds do you favor. Thanks for any help!! PAP.

Man that’s an amazing set up for sure, put all that aside what do you use to bring in the dogs, mouth calls, electronic, what sounds do you favor. Thanks for any help!! PAP.
Using a combination of hand calls and a fox pro fusion. In the video where I drop the double it's nothing but hand calls. A light rodent distress call and a raunchy cottontail call I have on my lanyard. I didn't dare reach for my remote with them staring right at me the whole time. Didn't want to light it up and give myself away. The fox pro I'll just play a mix of prey distress sounds and finish my sets with some yote vocals and pup distress. I always play a few minutes of pup distress at the end of a set or after any shot.

Some handloaded 35 grain bergers and some 32 grain factory vmax. Both seem to get the job done but shot placement is everything. That 1 runner that eventually died behind the trees in the video was shot through his neck and out his back and took another one through the rib cage while on the run with 32 grain vmax. Just tough damn dogs. The 48 pounder the bullet splashed on his shoulder bone so he got back up and made it another 50 yards before going back down.

Cool, thanks for the detailed reply. I have some factory VMAX for my .223. Yes they are amazing animals and I have a lot of respect for their toughness. The largest yote I’ve ever seen (and it wasn’t a wolf) disappeared right before my eyes at close range and to this day I can’t believe that I missed the shot. Yes shot placement is critical.

Like I said earlier in this posts, it’s going to be tough to beat whaler1 and his son, can’t remember if the young lady is his daughter or sons girlfriend whatever she can shoot also!! That pic of that monster looks like a wolf the way it stands there with (his?) chest puffed out. That bad boy would win a lot of money hunts that they have down here. The different gun clubs put on around home here.

I wasn't actually hunting last night, but still managed to call in a gray fox. Went out to check on the goose sausage in the smoker and could hear something in the crispy frosty grass near the barn, expecting to see a deer I look up and saw the silhouette of a gray fox I could just make it out with the ambient light and the motion light on the house. Give  few lip squeaks and it comes charging straight to me. I let him get to about 40 yards and yelled at him (getting bit didn't sound like a good way to spend the night). I've never seen a critter hit the brakes and turn the other way as fast as he did when I hollered. Might have to make a few sets in my tiny woodlot this winter.

55 minutes ago, dawsonscreek said:

I wasn't actually hunting last night, but still managed to call in a gray fox. Went out to check on the goose sausage in the smoker and could hear something in the crispy frosty grass near the barn, expecting to see a deer I look up and saw the silhouette of a gray fox I could just make it out with the ambient light and the motion light on the house. Give  few lip squeaks and it comes charging straight to me. I let him get to about 40 yards and yelled at him (getting bit didn't sound like a good way to spend the night). I've never seen a critter hit the brakes and turn the other way as fast as he did when I hollered. Might have to make a few sets in my tiny woodlot this winter.

:yes: