calling all dogs

bondouley

Not sure how true this is but if it is, it signals there could be some potentially large dogs on the west side.   What type of scale do you guys used to weigh the dogs.   The digital scale I saw at Field & Stream only went up to 50 pounds. 

E960CEFC-B67B-47F3-A963-5AB58B243E2C.png

Edited by Tboo

Not sure how true this is but if it is, it signals there could be some potentially large dogs on the west side.   What type of scale do you guys used to weigh the dogs.   The digital scale I saw at Field & Stream only went up to 50 pounds. 
E960CEFC-B67B-47F3-A963-5AB58B243E2C.thumb.png.a28aec75c4676c4b85d68ca5bb70ccea.png
Do yourself a favor and don't buy into that crap for a second. I'm not gonna waste my time but I'm sure u can search the Web or snopes and find 20 different stories from this pic. Bottom line is its fake as hell and probably not even from NY.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, iiwhistlerii said:

Do yourself a favor and don't buy into that crap for a second. I'm not gonna waste my time but I'm sure u can search the Web or snopes and find 20 different stories from this pic. Bottom line is its fake as hell and probably not even from NY.

x2

Lol,  OK we will try this picture.  This coyote was actually prowling my buddies dog in Bristol last season where I shot my buck earlier this bow season.  His pet dog was whining at the door to come in with its tail between its legs.   This coyote was 70 yards out in the field just staring his dog down.  This male did weigh 62lbs.  

1E1F3161-53F0-4AA9-9560-ED32CAD0DB6B.jpeg

Lol,  OK we will try this picture.  This coyote was actually prowling my buddies dog in Bristol last season where I shot my buck earlier this bow season.  His pet dog was whining at the door to come in with its tail between its legs.   This coyote was 70 yards out in the field just staring his dog down.  This male did weigh 62lbs.  
1E1F3161-53F0-4AA9-9560-ED32CAD0DB6B.thumb.jpeg.d1fabe986e9ff80c3b1ca9fa1c15ac04.jpeg

Wow that thing is a beast!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Man some of the weights up there in NY are amazing, no wonder those dogs bring down 200lbs deer without a tussle, put a few of them together and there a force to be reckoned with, I’m sure there’s some stories out there that callers actually have to shoot in self defense.:lol:

Coy dogs.  Look at the size of the ones they get out West.  Normal size is much smaller.

Lots of DNA testing suggest otherwise. Although our yotes still have trace evidence of wolf DNA in them they haven't found domestic dog DNA in our packs with modern testing. 99.999% coyote. Our eastern coyotes are the perfect example of evolution and adaptation. The biggest and strongest survive and their genes carry on. Eventually avg sizes increase. Much like humans in the 20th century.

Lots of DNA testing suggest otherwise. Although our yotes still have trace evidence of wolf DNA in them they haven't found domestic dog DNA in our packs with modern testing. 99.999% coyote. Our eastern coyotes are the perfect example of evolution and adaptation. The biggest and strongest survive and their genes carry on. Eventually avg sizes increase. Much like humans in the 20th century.

http://www.esf.edu/pubprog/brochure/coyote/coyote.htm

This article will explain some of the DNA findings here in NY and the rest of the northeast and compares out yotes to those of the mid west and far west. I've read a ton of this stuff. Pretty cool reads.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.westchestergov.com/parks/NatureCenters05/ConservationCafe/Kays_Coyote.PDF&ved=0ahUKEwjvvpLB_6_YAhVp5IMKHXU0A28QFgggMAE&usg=AOvVaw0NvjjAbHzl3pZ27oWfhoiN

Coyotes always look larger than theyend up being. I've been trapping over 50 years and I call as well and the largest I've taken is 45 lbs. I know a guy who traps over 100 dogs/year for the past 20 years here in N Y. He's only taken a few over 50, and they just cracked 50. The one I took at 45 I swore would crack 60...boy was I off. When guys start saying their yote was over 50, or 60, even hitting 70 I throw out the BS flag.

Sent from my LGL62VL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

And I’m probably skeptical about someone that’s trapped over 100 dogs a year for 20 years.

[emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Von Strahan Stanley ny....hes past 110 for the season already have met him many many times. His line is not that long at any givin moment he is just very good and been doing it a very long time.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

And I’m probably skeptical about someone that’s trapped over 100 dogs a year for 20 years.

[emoji631]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Well a few years hes been under that. Oh, he does it in three weeks time.....and thats a fact. Kinda his vacation from work. Good friend of Von that was mentioned by someone else.

Look, I'm just disputing all the claims I see of huge song dogs. They ain't wolves so lets not make em that. Otherwise the fruitcakes will want to make us stop killing them....just saying.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jimmac said:

Well a few years hes been under that. Oh, he does it in three weeks time.....and thats a fact. Kinda his vacation from work. Good friend of Von that was mentioned by someone else.

Look, I'm just disputing all the claims I see of huge song dogs. They ain't wolves so lets not make em that. Otherwise the fruitcakes will want to make us stop killing them....just saying.

I think it’s great Von can trap that many dogs year after year.  I would love to have the time as well as that skill set.   I would bet though using the same trap lines year after year would yield many juvenile dogs.   Similar to many areas where brown and down exist heavily.   The animals never reach their full potential.   Similarly I seem to hunt a class of 110-120 bucks..... 10 miles down the road they seem to get 140 class minimum with crazy 14-16pt deer that I never see.  Dont dispute Facts just because you have never been shown a large dog.   But if you have any advice from Von that would help me improve my coyote hunting success... I would be more than willing to listen and would be appreciative of it.   

Anyone go out last night? Just wondering if i missed a good night. Was going to go tonight but weather says probably not till at least tuesday now

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Did 3 sets. Let a buddy shoot a fox first set so he could scratch his itch and we could concentrate on yotes. Zero action next 2 sets.FB_IMG_1514643820900.jpg

• Like 1